Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorfast

New Milgard Montecito not sliding well

colorfast
12 years ago

Husband and cousin have just installed a new Milgard Montecito. A horizontal slider, 36hx56w. Cousin has installed many windows (formerly worked in carpentry). Everything is level both ways. Montecito is line right below Tuscany and I was told the main difference was the Tuscany had better warranty.

Window is kind of hard to open and slide. We took the moving portion of the window back out, noticed the lower track was a little popped up and tapped that back down. Still some resistance on the upper track. Window is tightest right in the middle of opening/shutting. That is to say, it starts off easier, then you have to push harder and then it's easier.

We have cheaper vinyl windows upstairs (12 years old, seldom opened, similar size), and one of them opens easier. The other is about as hard to open although it is more even. I had hoped for better this time given the higher price. Of course they opened easier in the showroom, but then all the windows were smaller in the showroom.

1.Are we missing anything? A screw or something obvious that we need to remove? We have looked, but never hurts to ask.

2. Is there something with the upper track we could do? Could we add any kind of lubricant (or is that not recommended)?

I know it's a big window and it's heavy, but I thought it was worth asking. It's in a kitchen so we would like to open it occasionally.

Thanks for your help.

Colorfast

Comments (3)