Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sliding vs double hung

Posted by elichka (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 17:31

Hello,

We are looking to replace existing sliding windows 48x48 with the new vinyl windows from Comfort Plus. Our contractor recommends double hung with reinforcement bar, but I'm concerned that they will be too heavy, hard to operate and might weigh-down over time.
Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you
Lenny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sliding vs double hung

I'd look into using a double casement. It will cost more but it's worth it. Horizonal sliders can have high air infiltration rates, plus they would be very difficult to clean unless they swing in.

o

+1

Square double hungs are goofy looking too!

I would go twin casement like Sky recommends.

o

Casement windows are the most energy efficient, I have heard. When the wind blows on them, it forces them to shut tighter, plus the lock snugs them up very tightly.

o

Thank you all very much. I'll ask contractor to price casements.

o

Casements will have lower air infiltration rates than double hungs (some more than others) and appreciably lower air infiltration rates than 2-Lite sliders.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here