Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clad vs wood vs vinyl vs sashes

Posted by dawgtirednc (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 17:29

Hi Everyone!!! New to this forum so I would like to thank y'all in advance for any replies to this. We are having our house painted and it's going to be $1700 to paint the windows. There are some pretty ugly aluminum storm windows in front of our wooden windows. We are taking those storm windows down since they weren't doing much to begin with. OK here is the dilema. We have 19 rather large windows to consider. My wife isn't sure she can live with windows that aren't wood. Does anyone regret replacing their wood windows with clad or vinyl ones, and/or sashes? Also, I know it limits my options on brands but I have a prepaid card from Home Depot with about $20k on it. I would obviously prefer to use that but I don't want to and then regret my decision. Thanks and I really look forward to hearing your opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clad vs wood vs vinyl vs sashes

The jump from wood to wood clad is not terrible and will eliminate the painting necessity in the future.

Wood to fiberglass is also not a huge one and can look very classy and consistent with the architecture.

Wood to vinyl is going to be the most stark and especially considering the brands that HD sells.

I think you nee to figure on what you are comfortable with and go from there.

There are insulated storm glass windows, however, they are probably as aesthetically morphing as a wood clad window would be if not more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here