Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
large vinyl awning window

Posted by will_out (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 17:25

I am enlarging a kitchen window - the size will be 50" wide by 60" high. Have got three quotes for awning windows. Here's the thing. Pella will do a 50x60 awning in fibreglass in their impervia duracast line, but not in that size in vinyl. One other reputable local manufacturer, North Star (I'm in Canada), will NOT do an awning at this size. But I got a third quote from another installer who will do a 50x60 awning in vinyl - but I'm a bit sceptical. He also came in at half the price of the others and some warning bells went off.

So my question is, can anyone see anything wrong with a 50x60 awning window in vinyl?

The other option is I do a fixed transom above a smaller awning. The problem with this is you get a 7-8 inch space between the windows, which will reduce the awning to about 38 inches high.

Finally (if anyone's reading this far) any thoughts on Pella impervia? They quoted 40% more expensive than North Star.

Thanks a million!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: large vinyl awning window

yeah that size is too large for a single awning window and I would be willing to dam near guarantee you will have problems with in that size especially in vinyl and Pella Impervia no so much either.

o

Are you planning to open this window? An Awning unit that size may only open 8-10" and therefore provide minimal ventilation. I recommend a stacked 2H awning unit or double casement the same size.
Many people don't open their windows, so it might be a moot point.
Check Andersen too. They may do it via special order.

o

An awning window doesn't just open 10 inches on the bottom. It is also then open all the way up both sides. It provides plenty of ventilation. I love a large awning because it's like a vented picture window, and you don't have to look through mullions.

I wouldn't personally do a window like that in vinyl. Look into Marvin Integrity or Marvin Infinity. Or if you want to spend the money, Marvin Ultimate will have some awesome options for you. Fiberglass is a better option for the strength of an awning that large.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here