Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inside Sill or Picture Frame?

Posted by kge9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 30, 09 at 17:19

I'm having some double hung bedroom and bathroom windows replaced and was asked if I want inside sills, like I currently have, or a picture frame. The window person said that most people use the picture frame style. I've never thought about it. I was wondering what people do these days and pros and cons of each. I'm also posting in home decorating.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inside Sill or Picture Frame?

Most windows come set up today for picture framed trim, however it is easy enough to convert to an interior sill which is how all my historic reproduction customers request their windows. A sill gives more room if you like to have nick nacks on the window sills, or if you put Christmas Candles in the window. A picture framed approach is a more contemporary look. as far as the outside goes if you want a sill appearance yo can do it one of several ways. 1) order the window with a subsill applied and they should come in you choice of thicknesses. 2) Order the standard window and apply a flat or brick mould trim on the top and sides with a sill profile on the bottom of the window. This can b in wood, a composite material or a clad material.

On the inside you can apply a window sill in one of two ways. One is to just apply a sill cap over the existing Jamb extension. Another way is to take the bottom jamb extension off and make a sill cap to replace it, or some companies will let you order the window with the jamb extensions on three sides only this is the easier way with companies that wrap their Jamb extensions on.

Basically it depends on your taste today whether you have a sill on the window or not In most cases the picture frame approach works very well

o
RE: Inside Sill or Picture Frame?

Thanks so much for your input. I'm leaning toward picture frame approach but will visit homes/window stores to see how they look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here