Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help please...must choose a window company this week

Posted by melissastar (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 20, 10 at 16:21

I need both new and replacement windows (custom size) for my kitchen remodel and my contractor says I have to pick the company this week to order them. He originally priced and recommended Jeld-wen, but I hated how they looked. Now he's recommending Pella. Can anyone point me in the direction of a few companies to investigate? I don't want to break the bank, but also am not looking to cheap out...a quality window at a price that doesn't make me stagger. I know, that's the holy grail, isn't it? In the past, I've bought Marvin and Kolby & Kolby was happy with both. This time, I'm not SURE that the rest of the house is up to the Marvin standard.

I'm looking for wood, double hung, rather large windows (roughly 72"X 30"), with alumninum or vinyl cladding. I'm located in Baltimore...a city rowhouse.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help please...must choose a window company this week

I am guessing from your choices that were looking for wood specifically?

The Pella Architect series window is pretty good. Not quiet as good as the Marvin or Kolbe but still good.

Do you need wood? Interior wood?

o

Hey, there. I'm up in Cecil Co., MD and also getting replacement windows and sliding doors. I had wanted Marvins but the quote for the windows and doors also was phenomenal. So I'll be going with the Anderson 400 Woodrights instead (30% less). I've searched around and have found few complaints about them. My contractor has built custom homes with them for several years and hasn't had complaints, either. Actually, my 20+ yr old Andersen windows don't leak either. At least with vinyl exterior, I also won't have to worry about the salt water warranty exclusion of Marvin (and Jen-Weld and probably other aluminum frame windows). I'm near the Bohemia River and the water is practically fresh-but when I emailed Marvin about the exclusion applying to my area, I didn't get a direct yes or no answer.

o

While I do like wood windows, there are so many good composite windows on the market now that have all the same options as wood that it is tough to make that rationalization.

o

We had Marvin and Anderson (400) quoted for our home. We have a large number of custom sized windows due to a small brick opening (no brick mold, bricked practically to the window) and it turned out the Andersons were actually MORE expensive than the Marvins. So we went with the Marvins instead.

o

Melissa, what exactly did you not like about the Jeld-Wen? Which version (quality) were you looking at, Custom? Reason I ask is there are four "quality" levels, which are really four different manufacturers that Jeld-Wen bought. The Custom is a Pozzi window, and supposedly their highest grade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeld-Wen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here