Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window Help

Posted by silverbullet007 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 16:18

I've been trying to research windows and have been going around in circles over manufactures and material.

I am looking to replace about 30 casement style windows. four of this are picture style with no moving components. Also a nine are double casements about 55x57.

We currently have 24 year old aluminum clad wrap wood casements. The outside metal has faded bad and the plastic covers protecting the corners are fried due to sun damage.

My initial research has led me to the Marvin Ultrex product in either the Integrity or the Infinity. I like the thought of the window not swelling or water damage from a window being left open in the rain.

The Ufactor and SHGC seem good and I also like the idea that if later on in years if the ultrex fades, it can be easily painted.

However I read also that the premium vinyl windows like Verde have better Ufactor and SHGC values. Also they have a better warrenty.

Any help which way I should lean to, Ultrex or Premium vinyl?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window Help

It really comes down to whether you like vinyl windows. If you like them, I don't think there is a better window on the market than the Sunrise casement window.

Often times, salesmen of composite and fiberglass windows will try and scare you into thinking vinyl windows will warp and bow. This is simply untrue as long as you buy a good product. Sunrise Verde in triple pane is about as energy efficient as you are going to find in any window without regard to brand or composition.

o

+1

You can't go wrong with either.

Well designed vinyl has great performance and can easily stack up against fiberglass (waiting for WindowDog to swoop in).

A majority of the best performing windows on the market today are in vinyl.

What is the right SGHC for your application depends, in large part, on where you are and how the home is orientated and set up.

Standard Low-e will block a bunch of solar heat and how much relative to what you currently are getting depends on profile size, existing glass, type of low-e, number of glazing layers, and options.

o

Thanks for the replys. I had the Marvin Integrity rep come out to talk about the Integrity and they are recommending them over the Infinity which will save me some cash.

I am looking at the Integrity with the LoE3 glass. I live in the southern area of VA and the front of our home is facing the west.

The Verde seems like a good window too, and that rep is coming out tonight.

I guess we will need to get all the quotes in then compare cost, function and Aesthetics to see which one we go with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here