Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vinyl replacement windows/please help!!

Posted by nyrgirl35 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 11 at 16:15

Trying to figure out the best window for vinyl replacement. From what I found out and correct me if i'm wrong, not such great windows even their top of the line would be alside and silverline. Good vinyl windows would be Simonton, Gorell, Sunrise, Softlite and okna. Also right now I have original aluminum buliders windows that are 46 x 46 sliders. I would like to change them to double hung is that too wide for double hung windows I know they come in that size but will I have a problem down the road with them? And lastly I live in NY and not sure if the Good vinyl windows I listed are avaliable too me, of course the alside and silverline are. Thanks for all the advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vinyl replacement windows/please help!!

They should all be available in NY but I am not sure about the prospects of putting vinyl replacements in aluminum framed double hungs.

o

you mean your not sure about putting vinyl where aluminum was? whats my alternative? or do you mean not a good idea switching the sliders to DH?

o

That's a really odd size to use a double hung in. Double hungs are usually taller than they are wide. If you are looking at double hungs because they are easy to clean, Sunrise makes a swing slider that's really nice. You should be able to get Sunrise in NY.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise Slider

o

I was choosing double hungs just because I like their more traditional look. Whats your opinion on sliders vs casement. I'm assuming casement is the better window but is it crucial ? I've heard of all the window styles sliders are the lowest quality, I'm guessing the worst "seal" when closed?? My gut is telling me not to go with DH, but do I go with the more expensive casement or will sliders be just as good?
and do you have an opinion on silverline?

o

I do not know if you can put a replacement window in your window. What type of frame do your current windows have? If it is a 2 3/4" frame a replacement unit might not work. Silverline would be considered a poor window by most any professional in the industry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here