Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me identify my perfect window

Posted by rosie_bay (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 17, 10 at 16:13

Hello, I currently have single pane windows and am looking to upgrade to double pane. I'm in a very moderate climate -- the San Francisco Bay Area -- so it never gets too cold or extremely hot for long periods. However, where I live it does get warm in the summer, and I have a couple windows that get direct, pounding afternoon sun that heats up the house all night making it uncomfortable during warm patches.

I have no issues with my windows with the cold weather. My home is insulated well and it's small, plus I have many windows and it's very sunny, so I really don't have to run the heater that often.

I love my sunny home, so I'm worried about the new coated windows that will reduce that bright light.

Is there a way to upgrade to double pane windows so that the heat from the afternoon sun is more bearable, but yet I still get to enjoy the sunny home I love?

Advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me identify my perfect window

As you reduce the amount of heat gain, you naturally will reduce some of the light. The question is what is an acceptable balance of the two? Currently the Cardinal 366 glass offers a version that reduces the Solar Gain to a factor of .18. and a Visible light transmittance of 66%. This is an excellent number for your situation but the glass can appear a little dark. I would get out and visit a few window dealers who have showrooms and see if they can provide you with actual samples for your consideration. You may decide a greater heat gain is acceptable due to the increased amount of light to around 72%. For comparison a dual pane IG unit has a VT around 78%

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here