Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runnergirl79_gw

Help with new build window selection, Eastern North Carolina

runnergirl79
9 years ago

Full disclosure: I'm using my wife's gardenweb login.

Lots of great information from this website guided us to quote a Restorations Window package (Ultra U VSS glass) for our custom build (22 window openings using about 45 windows). It includes casements, DH, and fixed. Also, we'll have to pick the windows up as a local dealer isn't available in our area. Builder wants to look at other options for budget savings and has mentioned Pella Proline, Anderson 200/400, and Marvin Integrity. No quotes yet, but wanted to get some opinions from this forum on a "next best" window with minimum U value of 0.33, minimum SQHC 0.28 and air infiltration less than 0.05. Will anything available in this part of the country beat the Sunrise Restoration?

Interestingly, minimal cost savings in the Sunrise or Vanguard windows vs Restorations.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

None of the other brands you mentioned will be even close on the AI rating of .05. I would think you might be able to find a Soft-lite dealer in NC. Of the windows you mentioned, the Integrity from Marvin (if it's the wood/ultrex) might be worth a look.

• runnergirl79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response. Soft-lite was impossible to get a response from, using both national and local contact information, so that left a sour taste in my mouth. Is there another window you'd recommend, even if the AI is a little higher?

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

You might look for the following brands: Okna, Polaris, Kensington. If you can't get one of those, Simonton's 9800 or 5500 with optional sash reinforcement may be the only other option I could recommend. Simonton is a mid-grade quality window WITH the reinforcement though, and not in the same league with Sunrise, Soft-lite and Okna.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

How far are you driving to pick them up?

+1 on Ultra Windows observation that nothing in those other guys is going to get you close to that air leakage number.

Are you building a high efficiency structure?

• runnergirl79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ultrawindows: thanks for the recs. I'll take a look at Polaris and Kensington.

windowsonwashington: driving about 70 miles to pick them up. Not building passivhaus, but hoping for 2.5-3ACH, R19+ in walls, R50 attic, sealed crawlspace, good-great windows.

Thanks for the help.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Sounds good.

I would try to get sub 0.20 on the windows then. I can make some recommendations.

Do you have a window schedule prepped already?

• runnergirl79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the AI rec. I will update that in our specs. Below is our window schedule. Tan exterior/white interior.

4 - 28 x 74" R handed casement
    4 - 28 x 74" L handed casement
    1 - 24 x 36" R handed casement with eyebrow
    3 - 28 x 62" R handed casement with eyebrow
    3 - 28 x 62" L handed casement with eyebrow
    2 - 64 x 74" DH (twin mulled 32 x 74)
    2 - 96 x 74" DH (triple mulled 32 x 74)
    1 - 28 x 62" DH
    2 - 48 x 36" fixed
    1 - 48 x 48" fixed
    1 - 96 x 62" DH (triple mulled 32 x 62)
    1 - 42 x 62" DH