Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemariesayvers

'Interstate' Replacement Windows?

rosemariesayvers
13 years ago

Has anyone heard of Interstate Windows? Apart from the fact that they seem to be out of P.A., I can't find any discussion about them on the internet. We've been pricing some expensive replacement windows, and along came a quote from one company with Interstate (for their CompositeWood collection - composite wood)They're 1/2 the price installed of the better windows we've researched. They are Energy Star qualified and NFRC rated very well, so why can't I find a darn thing about them?

Comments (6)

• comkow
    13 years ago

We had 10 Interstate Windows installed 2 years ago this fall. We love them! I also could not find alot of information on them. Had prices for Andersen and Simonton, and although relatively comparable, we chose Insterstae b/c of the NFRC ratings and the super-spacer. We have a few more windows to replace as well and will use Interstate. Our old windows were/are typical builders grade and in the winters with a portable humidifier (on low) and very cold nights, we would have frost on the windows. No more on those rooms, but occasionally on the two rooms we have not replaced yet. I also liked the brickmould on the outside. It gives the window a very nice look.

I do have to say that our installer was very good too. He used the sprayfoam to seal any gaps b/c we get high wind over the winters. Such a huge improvement!

GL!

• finesse_lc_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I researched them, and the energy ratings are better than an Andersen composite window. The frame is a little thicker, but a real wood window does not have a thin frame. It dependns on your taste. If you are looking for very thin frame, you may want to consider casements. I see a mixture of them sometimes...casement and double hung...depends on how your house is set up. They are great windows!!!! Love Them

Good Luck!

• TulipGirl
    7 years ago

comkow We are considering Interstate Composite windows. How are yours holding up ?

• Julia Plakow
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

My husband and I just saw the Interstate composite 9800 window and we really like it. It looks just like a high end wood window but with much better efficiency. Our neighbors had the same windows installed in 2015 and they say they look and operate the same today.

We are replacing 24 double hungs and 2 picture windows (26 windows). They are all white with no grids and the cost is about $27.5k with double pane glass which seems very fair to us.

We saw 4 other window brands but are going to sign off on the interstate composite. The company/ installers offering it seems to have good ratings. My question is this; should we upgrade to triple pane glass with argon? We are located in the northeast area of the country.

• William Rossman
    2 days ago
    last modified: yesterday

The composite window by Interstate is a very nice looking window and is very well made. Its also one of the most efficient windows I’ve seen in a while. Your pricing is very reasonable.

Based on my experience in the industry, I think the industry as a whole is really moving towards composites and some of the higher end vinyl products and away from wood windows. As for your question regarding triple pane glass, it will be more efficient. I do think Interstate's 9800 series does get very good performance numbers on their double pane though. See what their upcharge to triple pane would be. You should probably be fine with double pane since their Uvalue is very good.