Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedmac

exterior skylight shades? trying to reduce heat gain...

hi all - my skylight is heating up my space - and i've been researching shades and blinds. i read a thread awhile back where someone pointed out that trapping the heat between the window and a shade can damage the seal on the window, which makes sense.

so i've been looking at the stretchy screens you put on the outside of the window - two companies i found online are heatblocker and coolsun shades. they both offer 80% and 90% heat/glare reduction.

has anyone used something like this or these companies products? i'd love to know how effective they really are. ? thanks all for any advice!

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

How old is the skylight and who is the manufacturer?

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it's one year old - and i don't know the manufacturer - our contractor installed it and i should have researched energy efficient windows but didn't. it is acrylic, and domed, 2'x4' - my guess is whatever is the most standard and cheapest basic brand is what he used, based on the rest of his work when i didn't specify....

i should also say it's in our converted garage which i use for a workspace/woodshop - so he would have bought the most utilitarian version i'm sure. does that narrow it down? ;)

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i've linked one of the websites i found below....

Here is a link that might be useful: skylight shade

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

That is certainly and option.

Not sure how long it will hold up but it would think that a straight up replacement would be a better option because you can control the heat and still benefit from the light.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

which brand would you recommend to replace it? i wonder how difficult it would be to take it out and reinstall....

there is really that much difference between acrylic and glass? enough to merit replacement?

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

Velux is where the conversation starts and ends on skylights for me. They make a very good product.

• bpchiil
    9 years ago

slowjane -

As HomeSealed mentioned - Velux is a well regarded skylight. I believe if you have a curb mounted skylight, as opposed to a flush mounted skylight, Velux can be retrofitted to fit the curb mounting.

In terms of the skylight that you currently have (acrylic), I have two of them, but I am at the mercy of a townhouse association. I would not suggest the exterior blinds - once they are there - they're there , unless you get up on the roof to take them off.

Understand the cost to replace to switch is a hard pill to swallow - in today's world you are not alone. My recommendation put up interior light defusing shades. The caveat - sometimes they can be expensive. I had a quote for my two skylights to be shaded - $1200. Please know that they are roughly 2 1/2 ft by 4 feet and are vaulted in a 12 foot ceiling, therefore included remotes. Without remotes - knock off a few Benjamins.

Good luck!!

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bpchill - thanks for your response. question: do your interior shades reduce the heat that comes off the skylight? i can't imagine how it would in a way - but maybe i'm missing something - does it bounce the heat back into the window where it dissipates back outside?

the exterior shade is a fabric that slips on with an elastic edge - i would have to remove it in winter - but the price sure is right. for $75 i can hop up on the roof a couple times a year. ;) I just have no idea if they actually work or not - snake oil for all i know. i've ordered one and will report back since it seems no one has experience with them - for the next gardenwebber with a skylight problem.....

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I had a domed one the builder put on. We replaced it with a Velux that I can open. The stack effect allows hot air to escape through the skylight. There is a very noticeable improvement.

I tried an exterior sun shade on my west-facing windows. It did help. Get white or a light beige. The lighter the color the more heat and light is kept out of your room. A black shade did not help nearly as much as a white one.

Once the heat is inside the house it is inside the house even if you have interior shades.

• rosiew
    9 years ago

I built frames of treated 2x2 pine and stapled shade cloth on all four sides. I had them in place for at least 15 years before I did any maintenance - just reinforced the screws I joined them with. My skylights were Vellux. How I miss having them since I moved. Left them in place year round.

Cost was probably under $15 for the pair.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Not sure if Velux has them but other manufacturers make what is called a solar screen which cuts down tremendously on the glare and heat. I have sold them and even used them in a prior house I lived in and they worked great. Most skylites still have a screen track even if they are a fixed model just because and you should be able to use one as well. IF Velux does not make a solar screen I am sure you can find the screening at a good window covering store. It is basically just a heavy screen type material.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Those external "shower cap" like things work extremely well, and the twice a year trip to remove them can be combined with gutter cleaning, flashing inspection, etc.

It does cut the light, but it might be worth it to lower the heat gain.

NOT a skylight, but when I put an external sunshade on my small utility room window the temp was 10 degrees lower in the mornings.

• Simon Merrell
    4 years ago

Does anyone know a UK supplier for either CoolSun or HeatBlocker shades, or something similar ?