Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrroarke

Is this a comprehensive install article?

mrroarke
9 years ago

Saw this article on installing a sliding glass door and was wondering what others thought of it. It seems pretty comprehensive to me but was wondering what the professional's thought.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/doors/installation/replace-a-patio-door/view-all

Comments (9)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I am curious as to the reason your asking?

• mrroarke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Im not trying to be facetious but why do you ask why i ask? Im happy to answer your question. I found the article to be very informative and thought that it was consistent with what most on this forum consider to be a good or correct way to install a sliding glass door but i honestly wasnt sure so i thought i would ask. If my posting of the link to the article is somehow inappropriate please let me know.
    To go a little deeper i also thought this article would be beneficial to any DIY'er as well as those who are having someone else install their SGD's. By understanding the correct or a good way to install a SGD one can also ask more informative questions and possibly even view the installation process as it is taking place.

To keep going and probably providing too much information all this stems from a recent kitchen renovation where i increased a window size with a last minute change. I had a carpenter install the new window and later learned that no flashing or sill pan were installed. I did some research and spoke to several companies about fixing the window. Most said the job was too small and others said that the dont use flashing or find a need for sill pans. Due to it being a small job i decided to try to see if a handyman could correct my window installation and the answers i got about proper installation even confused me more. At this point i have decided that i really only have two options. Either do it myself or leave it and possibly have it redone when i upgrade the other windows in my home.

I just found the article informative and wanted to make sure that i was accurate in saying that the installation instructions outlined in the article are considered good practice. I was hoping that anyone and everyone with information to share could hopefully confirm that "yeah, that is the way it should be done."

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I was just curious as to the reasoning for the post. No offense meant. the forums lately have been bombarded with spam and quite often the the forums get tag teamed. Someone will post something one day and the next day their "partner" will chime in with a product or service to go along with it.

• bdam
    9 years ago

So I'm going to bump this hoping to get some more feedback. For better or worse, I plan to install my own Sunrise sliding door. Partly for cost savings (seems to be $2k labor to install one) but mostly just because I just plain like to work on my own house.

So first, any qualms with the process outlined in this article? I think there's some debate on needing a sill pan or not. If you feel one is needed, any suggestions for what brand?

Second, what are the most common screw-ups and how can they be avoided? My guess is that most people don't put the time and finesse to install a door truly plumb and without bowing. So any tips or tricks to detect, correct, or avoid that would be most welcome.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Sill pan are recommended whether field fabricated, flexible material, or pre-made.

No secrets on trying to set a door. Just patience, level sill, single plane (ideally plumb but some walls dictate otherwise), and square.

• bdam
    9 years ago

When talking about a sill pan is there a distinction between flexible flashing and something made of a solid material like metal or plastic? In the article they use both.

The article also mentions using fiberglass to insulate and I'm pretty sure the pros here prefer spray foam for less air infiltration. Sunrise's Canadian site (http://www.sunrisewindow.ca/customercare/door-installation-guide) seems to suggest against it though so I'm a tad conflicted on that point.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Sill pan flashing is sill pan flashing whether flexible or rigid.

Spray foam is the way to go.

Use low expansion window and door specific foam and don't try to over apply it in a single pass.

• bdam
    9 years ago

Thanks WoW, I truly appreciate the responses and I hope my questions aren't patience trying.

So in this article, they're really putting down two sill pans, one of flexible flashing and another with a rigid plastic.

Is the widely available Great Stuff Windows & Door as great as it says or are there better products to look for?

• PRO
    9 years ago

You can use both and the extra insurance isn't that expensive.

The other foams aren't that much better that it would be worth trying to source them as compared to buying it local.