Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chgojudyinaz

Need advice about enlarging rough opening for sliding doors

chgojudyinaz
13 years ago

I am looking to replace 2 8x8 sliding doors with french sliding doors. I want as much wood showing on the inside as possible -- minimum of the aluminum cladding. Of the doors I have seen, I liked the Loewen and Marvin the best.

Delivery time on the Loewen is 10 weeks, and Marvin only 4 weeks. The Marvin rep gives the standard finished size as 96 5/8w x 95 1/2 h, and the recommended RO as 97 5/8 x 96. The Eagle rep is recommending the following custom size for me: FS 95 1/4 x 96 for RO 95 3/4 x 96 1/2. I prefer the Marvin, but the custom upcharge, he says, is $1700 -- not happening. He says he bets they can make the standard size work for my too narrow RO, but I am skeptical. Nobody has cut out any of the drywall to look and see what's there. Should I trust that the Marvin std size will work, or keep looking?

I am also considering the Eagle, but have only been able to see the Andersen (rep says the Eagle looks much the same)and the delivery time is longer. Also looked at Windsor, whose std size matches my RO better -- their FS is 95 x 95 1/2 for RO of 95 3/4 x 96. But, is this a lower quality door? Pella is out -- don't like the screen on the inside. My contractor recommended Jeld-wen but I can't find one to look at, and it looks on the website like they don't face the sill with wood trim. I noticed a tan weatherstrip that shows on the Windsor (apparently the Eagle has the same thing) when the door is open. Can't remember if the Marvin had this -- is this customary? -- this doesn't look great when the inside of the doors are stained.

Thanks for any help you can give me. What are the guidelines for going bigger or smaller than custom size?

Comments (2)