Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrmichaeljmoore

Please help me choose from these replacement window estimate

mrmichaeljmoore
13 years ago

Looking to replace the windows in my home. Location Connecticut.

House was built in 1993.

Window list: 5 Double hungs, 1 Patio Door, Picture window/Casement combo

The home faces due West, so it gets a lot of sun in the afternoon/evening. The Picture window/casement combo in the living room is on the West side, so it needs to be as "heat-resistant" as possible. During the summer, as a result, the living room is always a few degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

I know installation is key....but it's tough to compare for a homeowner. Each company had a different take on install. Some did it from the inside, while others from the

outside. Tough for a homeowner to know which is best....

So, based on price and product alone, which seems to be the best choice?

Thanks.

mm

QUOTES:

COMPANY # 1

1 Gorell three lite casement window (2 casements with picture window) w/ Energy Master III glass (w/ full screens and internal white colonial grids)

5 Mercury Excelum Harmony series Double Hung (triple pane, low e glass, full screens, internal white colonial grids)

1 Mercury Excelum Patio Door (w/ full screens and internal white colonial grids)

PRICE: $5,055.00

or

1 Gorell three lite casement window (2 casements with picture window) w/ Energy Master III glass (w/ full screens and internal white colonial grids)

5 Gorell Series 5300 Double hung with AC Master Glass (w/ full screens, internal white colonial grids)

1 Gorell Patio Door (w/ low e glass, full screens, internal white colonial grids)

PRICE: $5,562.00

COMPANY #2

5 Interstate brand 6300 series Double Hung windows (full screens, low E/argon glass, internal contoured grills)

1 Picture/Casement window Interstate brand 600 series

1 Interstate Brand Patio Door 6400 series

Interstate window website: http://www.interstatebldg.com/

PRICE: $6,001.00

COMPANY #3

5 Okna 500 Series Deluxe Windows (double pane, full screens, internal beveled grids)

1 Okna 500 Series Deluxe Patio door

1 Okna 500 Series Picture/Casement window combo

PRICE: $6,535.00

COMPANY #4

5 Interstate 6300 series Double Hung windows (full screens, low E/argon glass, internal contoured grills)

1 Picture/Casement window Interstate brand 600 series

1 Interstate Brand Patio Door 6400 series

PRICE: $7,100.00

Comments (11)

• mrmichaeljmoore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone have any advice/opinions?

Thanks.
    mm

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

Company 1, option 2 is a good one.

I like the thinner lines and better efficiency/air numbers on the Okna but I am not sure it is work 1K more.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

+1

Company #1 option #2 would be my choice.

• mrmichaeljmoore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have still been doing research (and reading the forum) into my window purchase, and I have some clarifications on the quotes I am currently trying to decide over....
    I've decided on the company I plan to use, just trying to decide between quotes from that company.

Here are the quotes:
    (all are from the same company/installer; the only portion that differs between the quotes is the double hung windows)

Quote #1
    (1) Gorell three lite casement window (2 casements with picture window) w/ Energy Master III triple pane glass (w/ full screens and internal white colonial grids) Picture window U-Value: .22, SHGC .24. Casement windows U-Value: .25, SHGC .18
    (5) Mercury Excelum Harmony series Double Hung (triple pane, low e glass, full screens, internal white colonial grids) U-Value: .20, SHGC: .25
    (1) MI Window and Doors Model 910 Patio Door (double pane w/ full screens and internal white colonial grids) U-Value .28, SHGC .20
    PRICE: $5,055.00

Quote #2
    (1) Gorell three lite casement window (2 casements with picture window) w/ Energy Master III triple pane glass (w/ full screens and internal white colonial grids) Picture window U-Value: .22, SHGC .24. Casement windows: U-Value: .25, SHGC .18
    (5) Gorell Series 5300 Double hung with double pane AC Master Glass (w/ full screens, internal white colonial grids) U-Value .30, SHGC .25
    (1) MI Window and Doors Model 910 Patio Door (double pane w/ full screens and internal white colonial grids) U-Value .28, SHGC .20
    PRICE: $5,562.00

Quote #3
    (1) Gorell three lite casement window (2 casements with picture window) w/ Energy Master III glass (w/ full screens and internal white colonial grids) Picture window U-Value: .22, SHGC .24. Casement windows U-Value: .25, SHGC .18
    (5) Gorell Series 5300 Double hung with Energy Master III triple pane glass (w/ full screens, internal white colonial grids) U-Value .25, SHGC .20
    PRICE: $5,762.00

A few questions:

1. Does anyone have any input/opinion on MI Windows Sliding Patio Door?
    Their website is: http://www.miwd.com/default.aspx

2. Unfortunately, no one had any input into Mercury Excelum brand of windows.....but the company is on the NFRC list as an approved manufacturer. Does the fact that the manufacturer is on the NFRC list make it a quality window?
    MI Window is also on the NFRC list.

3. Between Quote 2 and Quote 3, the only difference is upgrading the Gorell 5300 glass package from the double pane package to a triple pane package. Is the improvement in U-Value and SHGC worth the additional $200.00?

4. Installation question. Is there a preference as far as a interior installation vs. exterior installation? Or is it impossible to make that judgment without seeing the house/window?

Thank you for your help.
    mm

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

1.Most pros generally avoid MI

2.NFRC does not "approve" any manuf. they simply report unbiased test results from their affiliated test labs. NFRC is not the final word by any means. A window can be NFRC tested to qualify for the tax credits but have very high air infiltration and water penetration rates and be a poor performer structurally. This is because NFRC only reports on conduction rates.

3.Yes, its worth it for $40 per window.

4. Need more info. Generally and inside install is better but comes at a higher price and may not be worth it.

• mrmichaeljmoore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Skydawggy-

thanks for the info.

1. I am gonna inquire about using a Gorell sliding patio door. But I seem to remember the salesperson telling me that the Gorell window is much more expensive than the MI window, but she felt it wasn't much better for the additional cost. But I will inquire about it.
    So why not MI?

2. I am leaning towards the 3rd quote using all Gorell windows with the triple pane package.

3. What makes an interior install better? And by saying it may come at a higher price and may not be worth it, are you referring to possible damage to interior trim?

Thanks again.
    mm

• mrmichaeljmoore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump (so skydawggy sees my response questions....)

thanks.
    mm

and thanks skydawggy.....

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Inside install involves removing interior molding and replacing it with new. Exterior install simply involves removing exterior wood stops and interior molding is not disturbed. I don't recall the specifics of your job so I would advise talking to your contractor as to which he would recommend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inside install

• mrmichaeljmoore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks skydwaggy....

By the way, why do pros avoid MI?

I did check the AAMA site and the MI 910 Patio Door is on the certified product list....

thanks.
    mm

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

MI just doesn;t have the reputation for consistent quality that others have.

• mrmichaeljmoore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I have made my decision.....

Final window choices:
    1 Gorell Three lite Picture/Casement combo, colonial grids. Energy Master III glass package
    5 Gorell 5300 Double Hungs, colonial grids, full screens, Energy Master III glass package
    1 Gorell Patio door, ECO Master glass package, colonial grids, foot lock

Just mailed the deposit and signed contract.....

Now, onto the most important part: installation.
    I'll keep folks posted on how that goes.
    Any tips or things to look out for while the installtion is going on, that would be helpful.

One other question for the pros....
    I currently have an ADT alarm system. The patio door is curretnly alarmed. I assume ADT will have to come out to the house to do some sort of work for the new door??
    Also, I wanted to add alarms to the Double Hungs. Since this is a replacement window, I assume I will have to go with the wireless alram contacts, right? Any experiences with those?

Thanks to everyone on this board for their advice.
    mm