Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raymommy

What is the next best thing after Marvin Ultimates?

raymommy
13 years ago

After reading through this forum, I'm convinced Marvin Ultimate is the way to go. However it is coming out to $80K for my new construction in NJ. Its a bit too steep for us. I can't seem to make up my mind what the next best thing is as I sift through all the posts in this forum! Please help.

Would you consider Integrity? Someone told us Anderson just debuted a new line of windows at some show - anyone have details/thoughts? We were pretty sure we were going to go with Pella - until I started reading this forum!

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (29)

• afsa
    13 years ago

Look into Kolbe & Kolbe, not sure your spec, but will be less the Marvin Ultimates

• dopgolf
    13 years ago

If you haven't decided yet, take a good look at Hurd Windows. Though not a household name, it's an excellent product for the money. Sold nationally and internationally,they are well under Marvin or Kolbe in price, and a good solid product. They went through a BK two years ago, but have new owners, are on solid ground, no debt and make a great product. Also have a mid-priced line of Casements and Awning style products called H3 thats won several awards. Even the wood is warranted for the life of the product against rot and decay. Check out at hurd.com and you can also find the closest dealer on their website locator.

• swesna
    13 years ago

I checked out Kolbe & Kolbe and the price was about the same as Marvin. Based on what I have read Marvin is a better window so why would I pay just a little less for another great window that is not as well known.

Steve

• dennisgli
    13 years ago

When I was shopping for replacement windows I wanted the Marvin Ultimate - but the price was just too high. Ended up getting Andersen Woodwright - they weren't cheap but lower price than the Marvins with similar quality. I also looked at Pella and Harvey but didn't like them as much.

• swesna
    13 years ago

I do not feel the quality of the andersen woodwrights is close to the Marvin Ultimates. Two different worlds and for my house for the andersen woodwrights it was 7k with all the options compared to 11k for marvin ultimates.

I have not bought all of my windows yet but have bought one Marvin Integrity for a bathroom since the window was in the shower. It is an interesting awning window.

Steve

• ejswensson
    13 years ago

We are comparing Marvin Ultimate with Renewal by Anderson. We are getting similar pricing and getting pine clad interior. Wanting to make a decision soon and would like any info.

What is the situation with different levels of Marvin windows?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

The Marvin Ultimate is a superior window to any Andersen offering.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

+1 on Marvin being the better window. Not even a contest.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    13 years ago

do not hestiate to look into the Ingetrity line. Very nice window, and still better then the Anderson 400 in my opinion. same design, similar hardware, same glass. Great smooth window. The only thing cheap about it is the price. You do not have the exterior finish options no the interior wood options as you would with Marvin premiums, however if you can work with it, then so be it. Another option is look at your house, and maybe your fancy windows you go with the Marvin Premiums (such as living room, sun rooms, etc) and other windows go with Integrity to save (bedrooms, office, garage, etc). They are designed to work together.
    If you are after sticking with Aluminum cladding, check out Eagle as well. Better then their owner's Anderson, and a great product close to on par with Marvin, but cheaper.
    In other news, 80k...wow...a lot of windows there. My house with Marvins only cost $14k!

• clayton_2010
    13 years ago

Integrity is a hollow fiberglass product with very little wood (I would compare it more to a vinyl replacement window)- in no way similar to Marvin Ultimate of the Andersen 400TW or the Andersen Woodwright.
    Not sure of your location but HJ Opdyke lumber in NJ can show you the products.http://opdyke.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Andersen A-Series

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    13 years ago

sorry, but you are mistaken. Integrity comes in full Ultrex (what you are referring to) or Wood Ultrex, which is a complete wood interior with a fiberglass exterior. And comparing fiberglass to vinyl is exactly on the opposite side of the spectrum. Fiberglass is not anything close to vinyl. Vinyl expands and contracts, a lot, which makes it an undesirable product. Fiberglass expands with the glass sheet itself, therefor offering a very stable window structure. It is extremely strong, will not fade or dent, and the thermal conductivity is lowest of all materials.
    The Wood Ultrex Integrity is rated higher then the A. 400 series window. It is priced around the same as well. Action for casement gears are smoother, doors slide smoother, etc. I have extensive research and experience with all- M. Premiums, Integrity, 400s, Eagle, pella, and some others. I would rank them: M. Premiums, Integrity, Eagle, Anderson, Pella.

• millworkman
    13 years ago

I would agree with that list, with Pella being way down

• PRO
    13 years ago

lzearc,

You are quite mistaken on multiple accounts.

Yes, vinyl does have a higher coefficient of expansion than fiberglass. Is this a problem when it comes to window design, absolutely not. Windows are designed to operate independent of their frames. Wood has zero coefficient of expansion as it pertains to temperature. Does wood have an issue with seal failure, obviously not.

Fiberglass does possess some structural advantage over vinyl with comparing equal thicknesses. Vinyl is significantly cheaper ounce for ounce and you will find that the highest design pressure windows are overwhelmingly vinyl.

The often toted tensile strength advantages of fiberglass have zero application in normal window applications.

The thermal conductivity of fiberglass is better than vinyl, however, neither of the windows that we are talking about are solid materials. The flexibility of working with vinyl (extrusions) allows vinyl manufacturers to engineer several hollow chambers into the extrusions and help insulate the frame.

Two windows of similar double pane glass with the same low-e, you will find that a majority of the top performers are vinyl.

I sell and install the Marvin Infinity and think it is a great product. It has several advantages to the materials and is a beautiful window.

None of the reasons that you mention are real advantages though.

• highport
    13 years ago

Take a look at Weather Shield & the Endurashield Fiberglass. Very well made & competitive priced.

• millworkman
    13 years ago

Personally I put Weathershield in the lower end right along side Pella

• juniork
    13 years ago

what about Milgard Ultra or the wood clad (ultra, with very thin doug. fir cladding)? I was quoted about the same price for the Milgard Wood Clad vs the Integrity by Marvin (wood/ultrex), with Milgard Ultra being about 15% less. Any opinions on the Milgard Ultra?

• PRO
    13 years ago

Bulky frame and hit or miss customer service and QA/QC.

• mtow
    13 years ago

Remember this :
    Owen Corning gave up on fiberglass many years back, due to the product and inherent design limitations. NO one to this date has the solution other than. Live with the limitations and use the product in single hole applications and no mulling or stacking.

• prrjim
    13 years ago

dennisgli:

You wrote that you went with Andersen Woodwright windows. I'm considering them also and would like to know if you have them installed and what you think of them. Thanks, Jim.

• macv
    13 years ago

"Remember this: Owen Corning gave up on fiberglass many years back, due to the product and inherent design limitations."

Owens Corning makes a fiberglass window called "Innovision".

The Andersen 400 Tilt Wash should not be compared with true clad windows; it's sash has a PPG paint finish that Andersen thinks is tough enough to be called a cladding but IMHO anything that can be scratched off with a car key is a coating, not a cladding.

• prrjim
    13 years ago

macv:

I don't like the Andersen tiltwash because of the "cladding", it appears to be little more than carefully applied paint to me. The Woodwright looks completely different, at least the sashes as its kind of like a sandwich with Fibrex on the outside, the glass then wood on the inside. I have all wood windows in my 23 year old house now, they're the original windows. I want to replace the windows with something I don't have to paint.

• dennisgli
    13 years ago

> dennisgli:
    > You wrote that you went with Andersen Woodwright
    > windows. I'm considering them also and would like
    > to know if you have them installed and what you
    > think of them. Thanks, Jim.

-------------------------------------------------

Yes, they were installed two years ago and I've been very happy with them. They seem very solid and the sashes and locks operate smoothly.

• mtow
    13 years ago

Opp's I have not miss spoke! These are for replacement and single punched holes!

CAPTION: Owens Corning Innovision windows are the first fiberglass windows manufactured without mechanical fasteners. Exceeding ENERGY STAR requirements in all climate zones and delivering overall design pressure ratings up to 142.5, Innovision windows are ideally suited for coastal impact, commercial renovation, and residential replacement and remodeling applications. Available in a complete range of styles, Innovision windows are easy to operate and easy to maintain. For more information, visit www.OCInnovision.com or call 1-800-GET-PINK. (PRNewsFoto/Owens Corning)

• desertwest
    13 years ago

Raymommy, have you made a decision? I also want fiberglass. It is the most durable and eco-friendly material available. I've looked at Pella Impervia, Milgard Ultra, Marvin Integrity, and Anderson Renewal Fibrex. Fibrex is not fiberglass though, it's wood and vinyl/plastic so that's off the list. I have 12 windows and to qualify for the tax credit which means the windows need argon &/or extra coatings, and they are all custom sizes. Quotes were Milgard $8500 windows only, don't have install cost yet; Pella $11,500 includes 30% off install; Marvin $24,000 (most cost is install - the guy is insistance on restucco-ing instead of using the flange), and Anderson $15,000 (discounted from $20,500).

It's between Pella and Milgard. It might come down to warrantee which translates to product quality. Milgard is lifetime. Pella is lifetime on frame, 20 years on glass, 10 years on parts (locks, cranks). Marvin is 20 years on glass and 10 years on non-glass and things like condensation and warp (

• millworkman
    13 years ago

you make know mention of whom your getting the install prices from but that part of the job is dam near as important as the windows themselves. So, to that end get and check references for install as well as the installers warranty. Make sure the installer has been around for a while so if he tells you 10 yrs there is a chance he may still be there when if need him

• desertwest
    13 years ago

Very good point millworkman! The warranty on labor was 2 years for all. The Marvin he initially said 1, but then said 2. No issues on BBB. But I didn't think to ask how long they've been around. I will do that - thank you! Pella has Pella installers as does Anderson here. The Milgard sales rep and the installer both came at the same time and they've worked together for years. The Marvin - only the installer came over. After he gave me the quote I asked what the price difference would be if I went with their wood windows, and he said it'd be the same. I'm trying to get an itemized quote from them but the sales rep has been out of town so they probably lost my business.

BTW, if any of you are getting Pella from the Pella store, a friend said he got a quote from them, then went to Lowes and got a quote from them and the materials were cheaper so he took that quote to the Pella store and they matched it. HOWEVER, Lowe's does not sell Impervia. They sell the vinyl and wood though.

• millworkman
    13 years ago

Matching the number is great but just be careful when they place the order the give you the correct product and make sure before you accept delivery the correct product is delivered. Remember Box stores are not know for having the most experienced or best millwork people

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    13 years ago

Desert:
    question on that Marvin number. You said the installer said wood would be the same as the fiberglass?...what exactly is the wood, the Ultimates? Or was the price for the full Ultrex (fiberglass inside and out) or wood meant wood ultrex (fiberglass exterior, wood interior)?
    If it is the Integrity vs Ultimate, then there is no way it is the same price. The Integrity, at least around here, would be cheaper then the Impervias for sure, by at least a hundred or more each. Question that quote, seems very fishy. Maybe its best to avoid them anyway!
    Also Pella windows (proline and up) are aluminum clad, not vinyl. I assume you realized that, just was not sure since you mentioned something about Pella vinyl and wood.