Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HMI Door Price

Posted by jabek (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 13:01

Received a quote for an HMI Door.
Standard 36 inch with no side lite.

2200 dollars for 20 guage steel and a very small rectangular glass at the top of door. I am also getting an upgraded handle for the outside with a standard lever and dead bolt on the inside.
The HMI door was more expensive than the Therma Tru i was shown by another company but the HMI Door seemed much more solid and had some nice security options which the thermatru clearly lacked.
Am I ok with this pricing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HMI Door Price

$2200 for an HMI door is definitely within range. They make an excellent door and as you mentioned, their door has outstanding security features.
As far as ThermaTru steel doors, they are flimsy to say the least. Thats why thermaTru is cheaper. They only use 25 guage steel, some can be 24 guage but thats still too thin. JeldWin also make a flimsy/ low quality steel door .
HMI uses 20 guage steel. Remember, unlike other building materials, with steel, the LOWER the guage, the thicker/ stronger it is. you want at least 22 guage with a steel door. HMI also offer a textured steel door which is a nice feature in that it renders a wood grain finish that can be stained painted. I order all my steel door textured as the " textured process" adds even more rigidity to the door. Both ThermaTru and JeldWin DO NOT offer textured steel.

The edging of the ThermaTru steel door is wood which isnt very durable for the edge of the door. HMI uses an all steel edge with a built in thermal break to prevent " thermal bridging" ( thermal conduction).HMI also reinforces the inner part of the door as well as insulate the inner core.
Be sure your contractor rips the door down to the studs( new construction) opposed to just changing the slab.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 14:07

o

That is cheap in our market and below what we would probably sell that unit at.

The HMI door is supremely over built...which is good for you.

The owner is a stickler for overdoing things which I appreciate.

o

I was shown an hmi door with 2 side lites . The price is 4300. If i get a double door, the price would be 5400.
I know the price goes up if the glass is more decorative. Very impressed with the quality of the door. Also looking at provia.

Very disappointed with the quality of thermatru, larson, and jeldwin; very cheaply made and flimsy. Then again they are sold at home depot and lowes.

o

Solid door and manufacturer.

o

Agree, HMI make a very solid door. Some customers get sticker shock and some dont because they expect hmi to be a bit more expensive. To me, its well worth the money. When customers try and cut corners and buy a cheaply made door like a jeldwin or thermatru, they are never happy. Provia is also very solid as is home guard.

o

I was just shown an HMI door in fiberglass not steel. Its a standard size single door, i was quoted 2700 including install.
They also showed my an hmi steel door for 2350. I am probably leaning towards the hmi fiberglass because the particular style is only available in fiberglass, opinions?

o

$2700 for a single HMI fiberglass door is well within range. You are correct, a few hmi styles are only available in fiberglass. I really like their textured steel doors, very sharp.
A lot of my customers get a bit shocked when i price them for HMI or Provia. However, once i point out the quality and features, they usually come on board. These doors last much longer and operate much better than the cheap stuff they sell at home depot and lowes.
HMI and Provia are well worth the extra cost even if you are on a budget. In 10 years you will be glad you did.
Dont't fall for the typical contractor who claims he doesnt get any complaints with his cheap doors. I've installed and offered all the cheap doors over the years and i had nothing but problems and frustrated customers. For the past 6 years i only install the high quality brands and sometimes i lose jobs but i dont care, i dont need headaches. Be smart and do it right.

This post was edited by doorproz on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 18:49

o

Hmi make a great door, no doubt. Homeguard also make a nice door.

o

+1. Very reasonable pricing and Homeguard, HMI, and Provia are my top 3. They actually share some components, but more importantly they are all assembled and finished to a high degree of quality.

o

Very reasonable, bordering on too cheap, pricing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here