Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jabek

HMI Door Price

jabek
10 years ago

Received a quote for an HMI Door.
Standard 36 inch with no side lite.

2300 dollars for 20 guage steel with a very small rectangular glass design in the middle of the door . I am also getting an upgraded handle for the outside with a standard lever and dead bolt on the inside.
The HMI door was more expensive than the Therma Tru i was shown by another company but the HMI Door seemed much more solid and had some nice security options which the thermatru clearly lacked. It was also designed to be extremely air tight. After the cold winters we've been having, i need that.
Was'nt impressed at all with therma tru. This is an investment and i want to do it the smart way without cutting corners on price.
I am also pricing out a storm door, that will be an additional 875. Again, the storm door is as solid as a rock. The salesman mentioned the aluminum on the HMI storm door is much thicker/ heavier than most others . I tried it out and it is very solid and closes real nice.
Am I ok with this pricing?

This post was edited by jabek on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 9:35

Comments (31)

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

$2200 for an HMI door is definitely within range. They make an excellent door and as you mentioned, their door has outstanding security features.
    As far as ThermaTru steel doors, they are flimsy to say the least. Thats why thermaTru is cheaper. They only use 25 guage steel, some can be 24 guage but thats still too thin. JeldWin also make a flimsy/ low quality steel door .
    HMI uses 20 guage steel. Remember, unlike other building materials, with steel, the LOWER the guage, the thicker/ stronger it is. you want at least 22 guage with a steel door. HMI also offer a textured steel door which is a nice feature in that it renders a wood grain finish that can be stained painted. I order all my steel door textured as the " textured process" adds even more rigidity to the door. Both ThermaTru and JeldWin DO NOT offer textured steel.

The edging of the ThermaTru steel door is wood which isnt very durable for the edge of the door. HMI uses an all steel edge with a built in thermal break to prevent " thermal bridging" ( thermal conduction).HMI also reinforces the inner part of the door as well as insulate the inner core.
    Be sure your contractor rips the door down to the studs( new construction) opposed to just changing the slab.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 14:07

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

That is cheap in our market and below what we would probably sell that unit at.

The HMI door is supremely over built...which is good for you.

The owner is a stickler for overdoing things which I appreciate.

• branlance
    9 years ago

I was shown an hmi door with 2 side lites . The price is 4300. If i get a double door, the price would be 5400.
    I know the price goes up if the glass is more decorative. Very impressed with the quality of the door. Also looking at provia.

Very disappointed with the quality of thermatru, larson, and jeldwin; very cheaply made and flimsy. Then again they are sold at home depot and lowes.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Solid door and manufacturer.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

Agree, HMI make a very solid door. Some customers get sticker shock and some dont because they expect hmi to be a bit more expensive. To me, its well worth the money. When customers try and cut corners and buy a cheaply made door like a jeldwin or thermatru, they are never happy. Provia is also very solid as is home guard.

• applex
    9 years ago

I was just shown an HMI door in fiberglass not steel. Its a standard size single door, i was quoted 2700 including install.
    They also showed my an hmi steel door for 2350. I am probably leaning towards the hmi fiberglass because the particular style is only available in fiberglass, opinions?

• doorproz
    9 years ago

$2700 for a single HMI fiberglass door is well within range. You are correct, a few hmi styles are only available in fiberglass. I really like their textured steel doors, very sharp.
    A lot of my customers get a bit shocked when i price them for HMI or Provia. However, once i point out the quality and features, they usually come on board. These doors last much longer and operate much better than the cheap stuff they sell at home depot and lowes.
    HMI and Provia are well worth the extra cost even if you are on a budget{{gwi:807}}. In 10 years you will be glad you did.
    Dont't fall for the typical contractor who claims he doesnt get any complaints with his cheap doors. I've installed and offered all the cheap doors over the years and i had nothing but problems and frustrated customers. For the past 6 years i only install the high quality brands and sometimes i lose jobs{{gwi:807}} but i dont care, i dont need headaches. Be smart and do it right.

This post was edited by doorproz on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 18:49

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

Hmi make a great door, no doubt. Homeguard also make a nice door.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

+1. Very reasonable pricing and Homeguard, HMI, and Provia are my top 3. They actually share some components, but more importantly they are all assembled and finished to a high degree of quality.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Very reasonable, bordering on too cheap, pricing.

• Kathy Zimmer
    3 years ago

I also received pricing for an HMI DOOR in 20 guage steel, very similar to the OP with small rectangular glass in the middle. Although the OP ‘s pricing is almos 7 years old.

there are No sidelites, just a single door. The price is $2750.

for the same door in fiberglass its $2900. Pricing includes hardware and installation.

the door comes pre finished with a pre finished jamb.

does this pricing seem normal in 2020 ?

i saw therma tru and a few others at local building supply stores and i was not impressed with the quality. In fact, we are replacing a therma tru. I want quality this time.

• croger
    3 years ago

How does door size and glass affect pricing? I got a 3' x 7' fiberglass single door with a decorative half circle from HMI. With installation and hardware, came out to $3,000.

• Window Genius
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thats a very good price for a 7” door. Especially from HMI . I see some posts that mention HMI single doors for only $2700 but those posts are over 7 years old and pricing has obviously gone up.

• William Rossman
    3 years ago

I was just quoted $3400 for an HMI Door in fiberglass. Its a craftsman style single door with no side lites.

Its a very nice looking door and also seems very well made. Everything on the door is “rot proof”

and has some great security features built into the door.

The cheaper doors I saw at Lowes and Home Depot looked very cheap and flimsy compared to HMI Doors.

They also make a 20 guage steel door. Any

opinion on which is better; steel or fiberglass?

• PRO
    3 years ago

All depends on the application. I prefer the fiberglass myself and especially if you are staining.

• Window Genius
    3 years ago

All HMI Doors whether fiberglass or steel will come pre finished in stain or paint unlike a home depot door. You will not find a door with a pre finished jamb or brickmould at home depot. You also wont find a rot proof jamb and brickmould at home depot either.

As far as steel, its personal preference. HMI steel doors are very strong and much more dent proof than home depot steel doors which are complete trash in my opinion. HMI steel doors can come with a magnetic seal which is kind of cool.

Your pricing for the HMI Door is good.

• Vincent Merck
    3 years ago

Just received a quote for a Craftsman fiberglass door with one sidelight (rain glass) for $4,500 in NJ. Cost includes hardware, Schlage lock and new frame and taking out old one.

Seems higher than previous ones but is it out of line?

Also quoted me on a steel for 3,700 but with kids and no storm door scares me.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    3 years ago

@Vincent Merck , that pricing sounds really good at this point in time. Building material costs have skyrocketed in the last year, we've seen three price increases in the past 6 months. The most recent door increase was 15% on one particular line... Its nuts. Frankly, for a quality, prefinished craftsman style fiberglass door its not out of the realm of possibility to see that door at $4500 without a sidelite. If the door is quality and its a reputable installation company, you'll be hard pressed to beat that IMO.

• Window Genius
    3 years ago

Vincent

that pricing actually seems like its on the low side for an HMI door. You actually received very good pricing. HMI make a very good door.

• Terry M
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi everyone. I just received pricing for a single HMI Door ( entry door ) which has no side lites and I am being quoted $3500. This pricing does not include a storm door which I dont think we want anyway.

Its a basic door with some glass but I do admit it seems to be much better made than anything at home depot or lowes. I was also quoted a similar door by provia and that was almost $3800. I am leaning towards the HMI Door because I like the company who is offering it, the owner came out and gave us the quote. We are in New Jersey. Does the quote seem reasonable or should we shop around?

• Jason Mallard
    2 years ago

The pricing for the HMI door looks to be very good, its a solid door. Provia is a good door as well. If you like the door, you are good to go in my opinion. I do know the window and door industry as well as every other industry are experiencing major price increases due to all the inflation and supplier issues everyone is seeing.

• William Rossman
    2 years ago

Just an fyi, I was quoted $3400 for a single door by HMI last year. That same door is now $3800. This is a craftsman style fiberglass. Just goes to show how much price increases are affecting everyone. The prices in the above posts are over 8 years old and were crazy low even by standards back then. I actually bought the HMI door, I didnt want to risk another price increase.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

^^^^^ My sentiments exactly. My commercial vendor has had price increases adding up to over 50% since October 2021.

• PRO
    2 years ago

A less than 10% increase is in NO WAY representative of the cost differential he/she is actually paying. I would jump on that deal like it was a glass of water in the desert.

• HU-956294227
    last year

I was quoted $5300 for a sliding patio doodoor replacement two panels. I was shocked, is that the going inflated rate?

• PRO
    last year

What do you mean by "inflated"? i.e. as in the Federal Government completely trashed your currency by putting 40% more currency into circulation and it wouldn't drive prices up? Or shut down the economy for over a year and not think that would create a ripple effect in production?

$5300 is certainly in the realm of price ranges that we see. And trust me, nobody is getting "rich" off that project.

I feel your pain as we buy goods and services...but this is across the board at this point. Any it isn't getting better anytime soon.

• ykagan
    6 months ago

We got quoted $7900 for HMI 36" steel door (no glass in the door) with 2 rain glass sidelights in VA. About $1k more if we do fiberglass. Is this an OK price or we should shop around?

• Window Genius
    6 months ago

Yes, those are good prices and HMI make a very good door.

The OP was quoted pricing from 10 years ago.

• PRO
    6 months ago

Where in VA?

• William Rossman
    6 months ago

HMI Doors are real nice, made well. No matter what door you look at, if its higher quality such as hmi doors or provia, you are going to have to pay a little extra. However, its going to be well worth it.