Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redkev

New Mexico Vinyl Replacement windows

redkev
12 years ago

I am in the process of getting estimates to replace the original aluminum frame sliders and single hung windows and a 6 foot sliding glass door in my Albuquerque home. I have spent many hours on this forum reading. I have contacted three local companies to provide estimates (no big box stores). One company is proposing Milgard Tuscany windows or as a cheaper option, Milgard thermally broken aluminum. The second, a local company called Glass-Rite, is proposing their own locally manufactured brand of vinyl replacement windows. The reviews on Angie's list for Glass-Rite have been good, at least from the standpoint of no high pressure sales and good responsiveness for warranty issues. The Glass-Rite windows have a lifetime warranty including the glass (labor included). Glass-Rite has been around for more than 25 years. Their windows are energy Star rated. Glass-Rite will also provide Jen Weld if you insist/request. They would rather sell/install their own product.

I know it is a long shot but does anyone reading this forum have experience with Glass-Rite vinyl windows?

The third company will give me an estimate early next week. I do not know what product they will be recommending/pushing.

This is a modest home in a good neighborhood built in the late 70s. I have a lot of work to do on the house including a kitchen and 2 bathroom upgrades. I don't want to overspend on windows. Any product recommendations for windows would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

Its rather difficult to give ideas on quality of windows in different areas.

Stick with your gut feelings and research their install and service quality.

I don't get Milgard in FL, but I have seen a few people who like their product.

Just always remember, its about the installation too, not just the product.

Good Luck!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Milgard is a pretty good product and has good support on the West Coast.

• redkev
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The knowledgeable, friendly and professional Glass-Rite rep came by yesterday to provided me with an estimate. He had a sample of the home grown Glass-Rite vinyl window with him, along with a comprehensive information packet. One of the items I need to replace is a sliding glass door. Glass-Rite does not make doors so they offered a couple of different Jen-Weld doors. The sales rep provided me with an estimate for the eight windows (their own locally manufactured brand of vinyl replacement windows) and the Jen-Weld door. The price was slightly higher than what I received from the other company proposing Milgard Tuscany door and windows. I have to admit, I was slightly surprised by this.

Both companies were extremely low key with no pressure to close the deal. I am going to visit the showrooms of both companies to closer inspect and compare the quality of the Milgard Tuscany vs the Glass-Rite home grown. Both companies have excellent BBB ratings and are highly rated on Angie's list. Glass-Rite provided a map of neighborhood with addresses of all the homes in our area where they have installed replacement windows. Both companies have their own crews and both products have essentially the same lifetime warranty. Both companies are licensed contractors and insured and bonded. The Glass-Rite warranty is interesting because it is only 2 paragraphs long. It basically says they will prepare or replace their product for as long as you own the home.

I want to thank all of you who moderate or regularly participate in this forum. I have learned a lot from just reading and probably saved myself hours of frustration in this process of making this major purchase. I will post again with any further questions and also post about the final outcome of this purchase

• kariyava
    6 years ago

redkev, what did you decide on and are you happy with your decision? I am also considering Glass Rite and would love some feedback.