Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgmarie

Anderson 400 casement versus Marvin?

dgmarie
13 years ago

Am about to make a very expensive decision and wanted a last bit of opinion...

We leaned toward Marvin Ultimates for replacing our casements and also looked at Anderson 400 series. I've read on here about Marvin and people love them. But is Anderson 400 in a casement so terrible?

We're leaning toward Anderson because we can get the interiors pre finished in white for about $10,000 less than Marvin.

Comments (21)

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wanted to add the cost difference is not from the windows themselves but the painting. The Marvins come primed and the window company wants $150 per window to take all the hardware off and spray them in a spray booth. The Andersons come painted.

We've had a bad experience with painting windows (by professionals) in the past and hate to ruin them with paint sticking etc.

Are we crazy to consider the Andersons? PS: I just learned the cladding on Andersen isn't aluminum but PVC and wondering if that would be a no no in my Northern (zone 5) climate.

• tube
    13 years ago

I've seen the pvc crack over time on the Anderson's. They are a good window but a step down from the Marvin. I would not call them an apple to apples comparison. The 400 series is closer the the Marvin Integrity series which can come prefinished white. $150 to paint is high in my opinion. I pay my painter 50-75 a window to paint. If done before they are installed sticking isn't a problem if they are given proper time to dry.

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tube.

The $150 is because they have to completely disassemble all the hardware completely and then spray booth them and then reinstall all the hardware.

It turnedout the prepainted Anderson are actually the same price as the painted Marvins.

We've decided to go with the prepainted Marvins and just be done with this. We're already spending a ridiculous amount of money and don't want to now have to find and hire a good painter.

• Shawn Dalton
    3 years ago

Does anyone have an idea of STC values between the Marvin Essential and Anderson Renewel?

• millworkman
    3 years ago

What glass packages are you looking at?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

They will be very similar with the same glass package, Marvin has more options for glass packages that improve them.

• Shawn Dalton
    3 years ago

Thanks for everyone’s responses. I have to ask the contractor about the glass packages. for Marvin. At this time I am sure he is intending to Install with the cheapest glass package available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

There glass package that has dissimilar glass thickness(i believe 3 mm and 5 mm) would be the most cost effective if looking for something better than there more typical packages.

• Shawn Dalton
    3 years ago

Todd,

Thanks again for your help. I am also in Minnesota and I have had a bear of a time getting quotes and that I can compare Apples to Apples. Plus until you mentioned I did not know about the glass options. In addition to windows I am having the foam sheathing on my house replaced since it is letting all sorts of noise.

Shawn

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

You may might also want to know what Low-E coating package they are using. There are many and each has its own upside and downside.

• Shawn Dalton
    3 years ago

Todd,

Thanks again. I was hoping the contractor would have told me more about the options, but he did not.

Shawn

• Shawn Dalton
    3 years ago

Todd,

Is it allowed to post prices on here for comment? I am just got back the quote for the higher STC and Marvin Signature and we are looking at a large sum of money between the three.

Shawn

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

Doesn’t bother me.

• Shawn Dalton
    3 years ago

Ok thanks let me know what you think of these prices. I am not sure If the casement wide is enough info., but a one wide casement is 26” W x 43”. These prices are installed.

Thanks,

Shawn

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

it is hard to compare the elevate to the Signature when they are using a different and more expensive glass package. The STC 32 upgrade seems reasonable either exception of the sliding doors. Overall the. Price seems high but there can be variables that dictate that plus it’s been a long time since I have used Marvin. options are to pay for what you or get more bids.

• Shawn Dalton
    3 years ago

Todd,

Thanks again for your help. I have another quote today coming so I will also compare that.

Shawn

• Shawn Dalton
    3 years ago

Todd,

Just had another contractor out to look at the siding replacement. We just confirmed that the garage is sheathed in biltrite sheathing but the living space part of the house is 1/2 foam only. Have you found this to be common in Minnesota?

Shawn

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

The built rite are common fir there era’s.If using foam you want it thick enough so it does not accumulate moisture on the interior side of the foam. Sometimes no foam is better than foam that is not thick enough, at least according to experts which I am not.

• Shawn Dalton
    3 years ago

I finally got back into my Houzz account Todd. How much do you know about Hardie Siding proper installation?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

Enough to be dangerous.

• Shawn Dalton
    3 years ago

Well my big remodeling project is done. Windows went in well but the contractor put nails in the visible face on a couple pieces of Hardie siding because they messed up and had to replace the siding. I really don’t think that is proper but wanted to get your opinion. Why did they have to replace part of the siding. First because they hit a electrical wire in two places and then they reinstalled the front garage lights incorrectly. One of the garage lights was installed about two inches lower than the other. Thanks for your help.

Shawn.