Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skarpachi_gw

New Windows - Hurd and Marvin Quotes

skarpachi
10 years ago

Hello everyone. I need some help. I am in the process of receiving quotes to replace 21 year old Hurd windows and 2 sliding patio doors that are original to the house. Some windows have broken seals, dry rot and cracked glass. There are 23 total units that will be getting replaced plus the patio doors. I have received 3 separate quotes: 1) Pella Proline for 38k 2) Hurd aluminum clad for 35k and 3) Marvin Ultimate for 70k. The company that quoted Marvin also carries Pella, but they are highly advising me to look at other products. I know Marvin is the Cadillac of windows, but I do not have that type of budget....even if I just do a few windows at a time. He is also sending a quote for Marvin Infinity which will be less than Ultimate, but I suspect will still be out of my budget. I like Hurd over Pella because they are extruded aluminum vs. rolled. Please note the Pella and Hurd quotes do not include painting the windows...they will only come primed. The Marvin quote does include custom color match painting. I am leaning toward Hurd at this time. I know Hurd as a company has gone through some challenges, but it appears they have stabilized. Their clad windows look nice. Will I regret my decision? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Look at Integrity by Marvin, it is a fiberglass/wood unit. I personally would stay clear of both Pella and Hurd. I believe the Integrity price should be slightly higher for a much better window.

• skarpachi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What are the differences between Marvin's Infinity and Integrity line?

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I am not as familiar with the Infinity line but it was originally a replacement window line that they have since branched out to a full new construction line as well. Infinity is only available thru select dealer/installers where Integrity is available to just about all Marvin dealers which should mean a more competitive price point. As far as the performance and quality i would have to assume they are about equal but I am certain a few others pros that frequent this site will chime in shortly and perhaps explain further. Have you looked at or thought about any of the premium vinyl windows on the market? They will afford better performance numbers and pricing and the higher end vinyl will look beautiful as well.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    10 years ago

Infinity pricing will probably come in close to the Marvin Ultimates so I would definitely look at the Integrity line. Integrity can also be painted so you can get the color match that you are looking for as well as a better window than either Hurd or Pella.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Infinity is Marvin's replacement window application.

Primary difference between it and the Integrity is the finish quality of the all Ultrex window. The Infinity is much, much prettier in the all Ultrex format.

Pricing on it should (can't say for certain) but should be under that of the Ultimates.

• Esko
    10 years ago

I would look into Kolbe Ultra or JeldWen Siteline EX.

• msavold
    10 years ago

FWIW... We're in the process of replacing 32 Pella Proline windows that are 19 years old and that started failing about 8 to 10 years after installation. Apparently, the Proline windows are "improved" but frankly I've heard anecdotal evidence that says otherwise and have gone from being a fan of Pella to being skeptical of anything they have. I'm sure you'll find many others in a similar situation on this forum. I'd look elsewhere.

• skarpachi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Integrity quote came in at 60k and Infinity at 61k. Again, the Ultimate quote is 70k and roughly 40k for Hurd. I know Marvin is a great product, but at those price points I will only be able to replace a few windows per year and I really don't feel like spending 60-70k on windows alone over a 2-4 year span. Is Hurd really that bad? Thanks for everyone's help!

• Esko
    10 years ago

When it comes to Hurd at $40k you will still be disappointed. There are many reputable products that can compete price wise with Hurd but offer superior quality.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Where is the home located? Pricing seems about normal for the Ultimates and a bit high on the Integrity/Infinity.

Tough to say without looking at it.

• skarpachi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chicago suburb

• skarpachi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What other windows should I look at then that are closer to the Hurd pricing, but higher quality?

• Esko
    10 years ago

I would check out Kolbe Ultra series or Jeld Wen Siteline EX. It's hard to say without knowing the specifics. I know a few people on here have a negative perception of Jeld Wen due to poor factory service support. In my area the distribution channel works a little different than where you are. Our distributor has a top notch service team that handles all of Jeld Wen's service items quickly and professionally.

Both of these lines are extruded aluminum and the Jeld Wen has a 20 year warranty on the wood components that sit behind the cladding against wood rot and termites. You are also able to get a DP50 design pressure rating on the Jeld Wen casement windows if you request it otherwise I believe it is a DP35, still respectable. I'm not sure if you are looking at triple pane glass or not but I don't believe Siteline EX offers that.

• reenee49
    10 years ago

This is regarding HURD DOUBLE HUNG Windowsâ¦My husband and I are building a retirement home and our local lumber yard recommended HURD. They said they sold their casement windows and their customers loved them. They looked beautiful and the glass looked great⦠I looked them up on the internet and looked at their example in the store. I decided it looked comparable to an upper grade window. We purchased the double hung and had them installed. First thing that happened my contractor said they were so flimsy when they installed them it took twice as long to install to get them straight. Next thing we noticed was the screens didnâÂÂt fit and were so flimsy if you just touched them they would fall out! Next we noticed the mechanisms. Two of mechanisms broke when we tried to open the window. Very cheap! ThereâÂÂs ONLY ONE seal to protect you from the outside. The seal is made of some fuzz with a piece of rubber in it! You can literally put a card, knife etc, thru itâ¦These windows reminds you of a MOBILE HOME window! We called our local lumber yard and they contacted the distributor â¦he came out and you could tell he didnâÂÂt care and did not want to be there. He was VERY rude and said they were all jacked! My contractor was there and measured them and proved they were not! We got in an argument and he left! The so called HURD rep couldnâÂÂt show up for another week! LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! When he finally showed up he wouldnâÂÂt even talk to me he said he was there to fix the windows!! ThatâÂÂs not why I called himâ¦he didnâÂÂt care! They got their money and thatâÂÂs all they care aboutâ¦I told him his company misrepresented us about by showing examples on the internet and in the store that wasnâÂÂt there window!!! He didnâÂÂt say a word to me! VERY RUDE!!!! I told them I did not want these windows and he kept on fixing them instead of talking to me and left!! I have built 3 homes and remodeled 6 homes in my life time! I have NEVER had such BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!! These are lousy windows for the money! They misrepresent their product! CHEAP MECHANISMS AND SEALS. If I had the money I would sue themâ¦IF I FIND A WAY I WILLâ¦I would say they are worst than 3rd grade windows but they are charging for 1st grade windows! STAY CLEAR AWAY FROM HURD!! Very expensive for the cheap windows!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor