Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faux lead windows (lead "tape")

Posted by adam211 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 12:31

My old house originally had either leaded glass in a diamond shape or muntins in a diamond shape on the top half of my second floor double hung windows.

She thought it must have been lead, and that I should get double-hung (or simulated double hung casements, since double hung might not work for egress in bedrooms). And that I should apply this thick lead "tape" to the inside of the window, and that that would increase the value of my home as I would have leaded windows.

I got kinda of excited about this idea, but I knew very little about lead windows. Now, looking more into what makes a lead window a lead window, I wonder if this would look pretty tacky.

I like the idea of lead but want it to look sharp and classy. If I didn't do the lead tape, I'd do 3-over-1 (marvin ultimate).

Anyone see this done? Does it look good, or is it just look like a tape? I don't know if it's a nice looking "faux" look that adds character to an old home, or just tape that I'll regret if I realize it just doesn't look that good.

This post was edited by adam211 on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 12:32

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faux lead windows (lead "tape")

If you are using Marvin, I wouldn't go with the lead tape. I have seen Marvin windows with leaded glass inside the insulated glass unit. A company in Canada does it for them. Talk to the company you are purchasing the windows from and have them show you what's available. Be warned, it is pricey.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here