Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adam211_gw

Faux lead windows (lead "tape")

adam211
10 years ago

My old house originally had either leaded glass in a diamond shape or muntins in a diamond shape on the top half of my second floor double hung windows.

She thought it must have been lead, and that I should get double-hung (or simulated double hung casements, since double hung might not work for egress in bedrooms). And that I should apply this thick lead "tape" to the inside of the window, and that that would increase the value of my home as I would have leaded windows.

I got kinda of excited about this idea, but I knew very little about lead windows. Now, looking more into what makes a lead window a lead window, I wonder if this would look pretty tacky.

I like the idea of lead but want it to look sharp and classy. If I didn't do the lead tape, I'd do 3-over-1 (marvin ultimate).

Anyone see this done? Does it look good, or is it just look like a tape? I don't know if it's a nice looking "faux" look that adds character to an old home, or just tape that I'll regret if I realize it just doesn't look that good.

This post was edited by adam211 on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 12:32

Comment (1)