Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement Windows - Vista Panorama vs Sunrise Essentials

Posted by dawgs_of_the_west (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 12:25

Hi All,
I am looking to replace all the windows and I live in GA. I got quotes for Sunrise Essentials and Vista Panorama. They look similar in build from a specs comparison (low E, double strength glass, Argon filled etc.) Prices are comparable as well.

Couple of questions. Are these brands about mid grade? This is what I gather from reading the forums. I probably will live in my current home for another 5 years or so. I want to know if there are major problems reported with Vista windows after a few years of install. I am leaning towards Vista since the contractor sounds fair and reasonable but I am really interested in knowing the window quality to see if I have to deal with warranty issues down the line.

Secondly, is cladding an important thing for your windows? I feel like it is going to mask real issues (and contribute to more) if I go with cladding.

Please let me know your thoughts and comments. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement Windows - Vista Panorama vs Sunrise Essentials

pretty much any and every window regardless of quality will have low-e and argon, so I would not use that as criteria. The performance ratings that are achieved by those and other features will be a bit more telling. U factor and air infiltration are two biggies...
I dont have a huge problem with the Vista other than that it is pretty mediocre, just that you can typically find a better performer for a similar price. The Sunrise line is very good from the base unit "Sunrise" on up. The Essentials is a price point model that I'm not a fan of.

o

I wouldn't put the Sunrise Essentials in the mid grade category, it's not that good.

o

+1

The Essentials is a supremely thin extrusion and it shows.

A great Italian from NJ once said "buying cheap windows is expensive"....

o

Hi All,
Thanks for the feedback and responses. I found the following about Vista. Please let me know your thoughts.

U-factor = 0.29
SGHC = 0.18
VT = 0.42
Super Spacer
Air Infiltration = 0.2
Foam Filled Frame

o

Thermal number is the minimum I would want to see. I like to see 0.27 and below.

Air number is high.

VT is a bit low for a double pane unit.

Overall...not an overly impressive set of performance numbers.

o

Thank you for the feedback!

o

+1. The .2 AI number is VERY high. I have to admit that I didn't even realize that it was that high... The top products are as low as .01 and .02. Anything under .05 is generally considered to be very tight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here