Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
applex_gw

Replacement windows in new jersey

applex
9 years ago

I am considering new replacement windows in nj. I spoke with two local contractors. Of course they both gave the same. " I've been using these windows for years with no problem" mumbo jumbo..

Contractor 1 showed me silverline by andersen. I was shocked by how cheap looking and flimsy they were. I then read some reviews and they are not good,

Contractor 2 showed me MI Windows and Jeldwin.. Same thing, Cheap looking and flimsy. Again, bad reviews as well
No way would those brands go in my house..not to sound like a snob but they are just so darn cheap looking.

I did research anderen wood windows and the thermal numbers arent that great and the air leakage numbers are high..same with pella.

I dont want to buy a window just because its cheap, thats just foolish and a waste of my hard earned money.

What are some good quality vinyl windows that look nice and will provide solid energy efficient performance? I am getting frustrated.
Thanks in advance

Comments (6)

• bpchiil
    9 years ago

In no particular order -

OKNA, Sunrise (Vanguard or Restoration Series), Soft Lite and Quantum II, are a few of the top performers.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

Agree with the aforementioned list above..i also understand your frustration.
    Most local contractors, whether they come highly recommended by friends or family, tend to use whatever their local building supplier offers. The low quality brands you were shown, Silverline, Mi windows, pella thermastar, and jeldwin are usually sold at building supply houses at cheap prices which offer a few benefits to that " jack of all trades" contractor..of course no benefit to the customer.
    1) they get the windows cheap so they can make more money and can actually give a cheaper estimate ensuring they have a good shot at getting the job.
    2) its easier to buy all their supplies at one place..
    Unfortunately, the only one who really benefits is the contractor and of course the customer who only cares about cost and not quality..
    Also beware of " Royal Prime" , the biggest piece of junk i ever saw..
    Many Pro's who frequent this board( including myself) would rather stick to a higher quality brand even though we run the risk of coming in at a higher price than " Joe the contractor" who is real popular in a certain town..lol.
    We pride ourselves by ensuring our installs are done a certain way and the products we use will not only last, but also offer the best energy efficiency and air tightness.
    Try to stay away from companies that advertise " windows installed for $189 ".. I see advertisements of this as well as some guy driving around in a van advertising that nonsense.

The brands mentioned above are also nice looking windows..
    Okna, Sunrise, Soft Lite ( elements), kensington ( Quantum 2)..

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Good advice above and I commend you for realizing the brands you saw were garbage and not wanting to put that crap in your home. Many people just do not get it.....

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Where in NJ are you located?

I have personally sent family members of my past clients that live in NJ to AGM and they have been supremely impressed.

Here is a link that might be useful: AGM Windows

• May Lewis
    2 years ago

Still happy with your windows installed by AGM?

• Katrina Callan
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I was quoted for the vytex fortis model yesterday by a company that is well regarded. We have 12 double hung- tilt replacement windows with grids inside the glass. There are no upgrades and everything remains white. We were priced $8800 which includes install and removal of old windows and garbage. Any feedback on these terms?