Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jabek

"Frame Jump " - what is it?

jabek
10 years ago

What in the world is a " frame jump"? A contractor mentioned this as an install method.

Comments (7)

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Generally that method is used when narrow aluminum frames are the existing windows. A new replacement window would be installed abutting the inside edge of it, and the aluminum window would remain, essentially becoming the exterior stop which would then be hidden under new cladding.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    10 years ago

The installation method also known as "retrofit" or "zee bar" and installed as HomeSealed describes.

• jabek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What kind if openings is " frame jumping" most common?
    Concrete or stucco?
    I imagine sheetrock but i dont see why an aluminum window couldnt be easily removed from sheet rock opening?
    Are there potential issues with improper sealing when frame jumping is used?

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Ive never seen anyone leave the aluminum frame in a sheetrock return, i definitely have with a concrete return though.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

It's done commonly with sheetrock returns up here.

@jabek, the main issue is the nailing flange on the existing aluminum windows. It can be pretty labor intensive to get those frames out depending on the circumstances. A frame jump is not the most comprehensive type of installation by any means, but is an accepted and problem-free method when done properly.

• jabek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HomeSealed
    With regards to the aluminum nail flange, cant an installer just cut the flange with a saw zaw and remove the frame that way without disturbing the sheet rock?

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

That is a valid procedure as well, although it is a process that is easier said than done when dealing with aluminum. A bit easier on vinyl installs...
    Depending on how the aluminum frame is situated, it can simply be an unnecessary step, as the aluminum frame can act as the exterior stop as I explained above. If you do cut off the flange however, it does give you the opportunity to retro fit a drip cap/ z-flashing that tucks up behind the original flange. That aspect is superior.
    Generally when we do these type of installs we prefer to cut back the siding, remove the original window with flange, install the new window with flange and full flashing detail, and finish it of with new trim to fill the gap where the siding was cut back. Short of removing and reinstalling all of the siding around every opening, that method provided the most comprehensive installation.

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA