Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Simonton 9800 Series Window - Price

Posted by truth75 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 11:49

How much should I expect to pay for 18 Simonton 9800 Series averaged-size windows (that meet the $1,500 tax credit requirements) from an authorized Simonton dealer that does not subcontract the installation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Simonton 9800 Series Window - Price

The answer is, it depends on a lot of factors. Where you live, who you buy from, what's involved in the installation such as wrapping wood, whether insulation is used in the jambs and what type of insulation, what prep work is necessary, the experience of the installer, company reputation, labor warranties etc. Even depends on if grids are included, if the installer is using shims, backer rods or wood blocks on the sills. Best answer is you will usually get what you pay for.

o
Reply - Simonton 9800 Series Window - Price

Southern U.S. (not in hurricane zone)
Contractor in business for 20+ years installing windows
Installation is on a brick home
Company has numerous references and A+ Better Business Bureau rating.
Warranty is for Lifetime regarding the window (total window) and labor. Covers everything for the life of the window.

o

Still need to know what options are in the windows, what type of windows are currently in place, what are the installation options, etc.

o

I am looking at Simonton 5500 double hung windows that meet the $1,500 tax credit requriments as replacements for 17 of my early 1980's aluminum windows with storm windows over them. They have brick around them, no siding. I want 5 of my new windows with grids and the rest without.

o

The Simonton Reflections 5500 series is a pretty good window. You can either choose the ETC glass package with Intercept Spacer or the LoE-366 with Super Spacer, a 1" IGU and double strength glass. Both will qualify for the tax credit. What pricing have you recieved so far?

o

So far, I have received a price of $9,500 for 17 averaged size windows (installed). With the $1,500 tax credit, I will be right around $8,000. This a good price for the Simonton 5500?

o

Are you getting the Solar System AR glass package? That would include LoE-366 glass, argon gas, Super Spacer, 1" IGU and double strength glass. If so, that's a fair price considering your existing windows are metal.

The other alternative would be the ETC glass package. ETC uses LoE 272 glass, argon gas, Intercept Spacer, a 3/4" IGU and single strength glass. If the quote is for ETC, I think you could do a little better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here