Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need installation guidance/recommendations, Please.

Posted by jeanneclaire (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 11:39

I posted last week that I am "replacing rotting wood windows with aluminum clad." I'm still waiting on estimates, but primarily considering extruded aluminum clad by Marvin, possibly Semco, and I guess I should toss Andersen in the mix too.

I have an EFIS (synthetic stucco) exterior home in East Tennessee. Architectural aesthetics and window features are important to me, but I'm primarily concerned about installation and water leakage. EFIS stucco must be properly sealed to prevent water damage, and thus far, has for obvious reasons happened around our windows and doors.

A post from an architect, Mightyanvil, on this forum in Oct. 06, inspired my questions. He said:

"For installation, I always instruct the contractor to use the Jeld-Wen instructions that call for using sill flashing in the rough openings and then putting the windows in and flashing their frames to the sheathing (not the underlayment) with Vycor or butyl tape being sure to cover the fin-to-frame joint and allow drainage at the bottom. A surprising number of contractors tell me that's the way they install windows now."

Window installers and experts, please respond. Is this advice appropriate or relevant to my situation? What's your best advice on install as it pertains to EFIS stucco? I really want to insure that my windows, whichever ones I choose, are installed properly. I only want to do this once, and after some of the horror stories I've read about problems with all of the top window brands, I'm nervous!! Please reply. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need installation guidance/recommendations, Please.

Flexible sill pan flashing or pre-formed sill pan (you and use both if you want to go over the top), jamb flashing, head flashing, flanged/new construction window, low expansion foam to fill any gaps, and a drip cap on the finished exterior.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here