Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmelclown

Okna Window construction vs replacement

CarmelClown
10 years ago

Hi. I have been reading about windows on this forum for some time and it has really helped me in my search for new windows. I have decided on the Oknawindows because what I have read here. I do have a question though. I was told by a Simonton seller that new construction windows are made of lesser quality than replacement windows because home builders don't want to spend a lot on windows. Is that true?

I asked the Okna seller and he said yes, but that what he is selling me is replacement windows with a full tear out. He said "we know how to install them with a full tear out" so that I am not buying construction grade windows.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks. Love the forum.

Comments (9)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Technically speaking they are both wrong! The windows are basically identical with the difference being new construction windows have a nailing flange. I would have serious doubts about any window supplier/dealer/installer who told you that and would be looking for another dealer.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Ha ha.

Like MWM said, they are both wrong.

Most windows that are used in new construction track building are crap, but not because they are new construction.

• CarmelClown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, they are using the replacement but doing a tear out so they can charge more money? Should I insist on the new construction Okna's? There is only one dealer in my state that uses Okna.

• floryjoe
    10 years ago

Whatever the type of window used make sure that the window installation process is done correctly. You will need to find a reputed dealer and if you are doubtful about the dealers intentions, it is better that you find a new one. Of there is none in your state go for the a neighboring dealer or else find some online shops.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

You can use a replacement window for new construction if needed... The labor is the same which is much more than standard replacement.

Some window companies do offer new construction that indeed are lesser quality; thinner walls. I can name a few off the top of my head...

Okna uses the same extrusion whether new construction or not which is a good thing. Not all companies do this though.

• CarmelClown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much, that really eases my mind. I am a widow trying to make a decision about something I know absolutely nothing about. Like I said, I've been lurking on various forums for months reading all that I can. The window company I am dealing with was recommended by a co-worker who had Okna windows installed and loves them. And they get very good reviews on Angie's List. And Home-Sealed, it is good to know that Okna provides the same window for inserts or tear out. I was afraid this guy was going to jimmy-rig a window that wasn't meant to be full tear out.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Sounds like you are covered then.

Post up some before and after pictures.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Sounds like you are on the right track :)
    Be sure to post back with any questions that you have throughout the process.