Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alside Mezzo Window Reviews

Posted by applex (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 11:01

I was shown the alside mezzo window by a local contractor. The price was cheap but the window looked kind of flimsy and a tad cheap looking. . I am NOT going to make the dumb mistake of buying something just because its cheap.
One thing that was strange was the fact that the mezzo cannot be ordered in triple pane glass. When i asked the contractor why, he kind of shrugged and said he didnt know. That had me thinking the alside mezzo frame cant handle the weight of triple pane even though i am looking more at double pane.
I did notice most of those " jack of all trades" contractors who sell cheap seem to use alside windows. Just an observation.
Any opinions on the alside mezzo from the pro's here?

This post was edited by applex on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 11:04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alside Mezzo Window Reviews

The alside mezzo is basically an alside excalibur frame with a different sill.
You are correct, the mezzo cannot be ordered in triple pane glass and i also suspect its due to the frame not being strong enough to handle the extra weight. All the high end/ well designed windows can easily handle the weight of 4 panes, never mind triple pane. So yes, that is a concern. further, the mezzo doesnt come with a foam filled frame option, just like the excalibur does'nt.
If you look at the inside corners of the mezzo sash, you will notice unsightly fuzzy pads( square fuzz pads). This is because without them, more air will leak through the meeting rails. Higher end windows dont use fuzzy pads.

I also agree that a lot of low budget contractors use Alside windows or even MI Windows which are absolutely horrible in my opinion. There will always be a market for a window just because its cheap because far too many consumers try to convince themselves that a cheap price means a good deal. Wrong !!!!!!

A good deal is a good product, a good install, at a fair price.
Ive seen consumers go with a company just because the price was 12,000 rather than 13,000 for a much better product, thats just foolish. A 1,000 difference for something that will last decades is nothing. I will never understand those decisions.

I would look at Sunrise Windows( not the essentials), Okna Windows, Soft Lite, and Kensington. You will then clearly see the difference in quality,

o
RE: Alside Mezzo Window Reviews

Depending on where you are located, there are better windows out there.

I would keep searching around.

I think mmarse1 advice is spot on as well when it comes to spending the right amount to get the best window that you can afford.

This post was edited by windowsonwashington on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 13:48

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here