Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfatt16

Huttig Doors

MFatt16
10 years ago

Huttig used to make doors and windows and trim. Is anyone familiar with them? A quick Google search is leading me to believe they are no longer in business OR they are now Thermatru. Any input, am I way off base?

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Huttig did not in fact make doors that I am aware of and I am not certain but believe they are no longer in business. They used to be a distributor for Therma Tru as well as Morgan and I cannot at the moment remember what other door companies. That being said what they did make were the prehung units, meaning they took the door slabs and knocked down frames from the manufacturers and assembled them per the customers order specifications.

• MFatt16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the quick response. My contractor mentioned Huttig but said he hadn't used them in a while. I guess I will stick with the other brand he recommended, Simpson.

Thanks you again.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Again, Simpson will make the Wood Door and the distributor will be the one to hang the door into a prehung unit. But that is the way it is done these days. Good luck with your project!

• MFatt16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got it. We are getting them through a local lumber yard but I need to pick out styles to price so I was looking online. Thanks.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Perfect, Simpson makes a very nice door. If you can afford it on the frame get solid clear pine not the finger jointed. If you do not have the $ in the budget at least get the exterior trim in clear no FJ.

• Esko
    10 years ago

Huttig is still in business. They are a distributor that purchases doors and hangs them for lumber yards and design centers. They do sell Simpson doors but don't buy enough to compete with some of the other distributors.

• MFatt16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not familiar with the term finger jointed but I added that to the list for the contractor. Thanks.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Looks like this, allegedly more stable but less impervious to moisture than solid sawn lumber.

This post was edited by millworkman on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 21:35