Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rstaylor_gw

is this a Good Price on windows Replacemet?

RSTaylor
9 years ago

I am trying to determine if I should cancel my contract for windows replacement. I have two concerns.

First is the windows they quoted. They are Alside Mezzo double hungs, sliders, and a casement. I am not seeing good reviews overall about Alside, but I also can see that the Mezzo line is new. Any feedback on this. How about dealing with Alside as a company. They seem to offer a good warranty. Do they stand behind it?

The next issue is of course price. We are are in the Greater Baltimore, MD area. We have been quoted basically $700 for both the double hungs and the sliders. We are also replacing a large foyer window (double hung with a half moon window above) with a single piece window. We were told this would be cheaper, but it is still $1250. In total we have 5 double hungs, 4 sliders, 1 casement, and the large foyer window. With some small additional charges we got the price down to $7,900.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

While I don't generally promote kicking contracts, you could have gotten a much better window for about the same money. Alside's Mezzo window is an improvement over their older lines, but it's still lacking in critical areas.

There's a regular pro here - Windows on Washington, that may serve the Baltimore market. He would be the guy to talk to as he has top performing window lines and great service as well.

• RSTaylor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ultrawindows, Thanks for the feedback. I am not really a fan of cancelling contracts either. However, we got pulled in by a cold call and didn't have the time to do our research. The contractor seems good from my research, but the price seemed a bit high and Alside was getting alot of bad commentary. These things combined led me to look at cancelling the contract.

• RSTaylor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: We renegotiated the price to 6,900. We are considering this now. I am still a bit concerned about the Alside Mezzo windows though. The comments I read are mixed on that particular line. It seems like they are a big improvement over previous models. Any comment on that line in particular. I don't want to pay ANY price for something that will have problems in a few years.

So overall at this price is that a reasonable deal?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Alside has never been known for quality windows. A cold call plus that fact that they dropped their price 15% as soon as you balked tells me to run. A contractor is also generally not necessarily the person you want installing replacement window and they are the only people that would sell Alside as that is what they purchase at the local building supply. As mentioned above I would check out wow and my advice would be to run the other way.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

I am also not a fan of cancelling contracts, however I'm no fan of high pressure sales either. I'd cancel it and take some additional time to research the product.
    Alside's reputation is what it is, so I'd definitely take that into account.
    A few other things to note on that product:
    -It is basically the same window as the one offered nationwide for $189, so is it overpriced?
    -To my knowledge, it is NOT available in triple pane due to how thin the frame is. That is a huge red flag to me in regard to the strength and long term durability. That fact is almost unheard of in anything but the most basic, builder grade products.