Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slider or Dual Casement in front of Kitchen Sink?

Posted by rdonchez (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 9:45

I'm considering going forward with window replacement in my home. It will likely be the Okna 800DX series. One thing I am torn about is the type of window I should use in front of the sink in my kitchen. I have an opening that is approximately 38 inches wide by 36 inches tall. Presently there are two casement windows that fill this space with a typical bar down the center. In receiving quotes, its been mentioned that I could also opt to put a slider in this space, which would probably save around $500. Our counters are not too deep so reaching the window is not a huge concern.

Any thoughts or considerations? What do most people do? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slider or Dual Casement in front of Kitchen Sink?

I dont think your savings would be as much as 500 though. To save some money, a slider makes sense.

o

The slider will also give you a bit more glass and larger feel to it as well.

Seems like win - win to me.

o

I like the idea of an awning in that location. 38" is pretty narrow to have a vertical bar splitting it in two and you can eliminate it with an awning.Usually the operator is on the bottom so opening the window shouldn't be an issue either.

o

We have casements in our new house, a first for me. One thing I discovered that I did not like about them was the inability to open while raining. If they are not covered and are opened wide, they are sticking out in the rain. For a kitchen, this could be important depending on the roof line above the window. In this case a slider would be an improvement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here