Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrzeigler_gw

Did I create a lot more work for myself by doing this to window?

mrzeigler
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a little worried that I might have just created more work for myself by being overzealous with removing drywall & tile around window as part of a bathroom renovation project.

This has been an extensive project -- floor & wall tile have been removed, 75% of the drywall has been torn out, a couple moldy strips of insulation have been replaced, the tub and the rotted floorboards beneath it are gone, new fixtures are about to be installed and a new vanity & linen cabinets are ordered.

However, I did not want to mess around with replacing or temporarily removing the window. But as I was removing the drywall & tile around the window, I got a little overzealous and decided to pull out the drywall that went back between the studs and the window frame, as well as the small pieces of tile that the window frame was caulked to. You can see this area in the pic (which the website has turned sideways -- if you look closely, you can see the marble window sill on the left side of the photo)

How much extra work did I just create for myself?

Can I just cut new drywall to fit this spot and fit it in and then reposition the tiles and recaulk? Or would that approach be a half-assed bandaid that should be avoided?

The seal around the window on the exterior wall hasn't been disturbed, btw.

Comment (1)