Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xrayvision_gw

8 foot sliding patio door Lake Tahoe

xrayvision
13 years ago

Hi

Need to purchase an 8 ft sliding patio door in the Lake Tahoe area, so snow in winter, summers 80's.

It's our vacation home (not a rental) but don't want to spend a ton of $$$ but definitely want something durable. Would Vinyl be ok in this environment? If so, what brand would you go with. (went to Lowes and they pushed the Pella, Jeld-wen at HD).

Thanks

Comments (5)

• friedajune
    13 years ago

I can't answer your question except to advise you not to get Pella sliding glass door. I just replaced my Pella sliding glass door, which I detested. Pella's "patented design" means the track is on the outside. This is really bad if you are in a snowy climate (like, e.g. Chicago or Lake Tahoe). For that matter, even if you are not in a snowy climate, the track on the outside is poor engineering because debris and insects get in there, and also it is easier to break into. I replaced my Pella sliding glass door with a Marvin, and couldn't be happier. It did cost $$$, and I got a wood not vinyl. I wanted a durable, heavy-duty, beautiful sliding glass door, and for that, I had to pay up.

I am sure someone else can more specifically answer your question, but I just wanted to warn you away from Pella sliding glass doors.

• crabcakes
    13 years ago

I just replaced my 8ft slider with a BetterBilt from Lowes. I live in a harsh (salty) environment and these work fine for down here. The only thing I am unsure about is snow against the door. I have a threshold which is 2" above the patio floor so I don't really have to worry about water coming in through the door. Not sure if this is an issue with sliders in the snow?

Just to give you an idea: Slider was $750 from HD, $450 from Lowes when using a 10% coupon at both stores. That's 96x80, Low-E with IG and aluminum frame with screen. I'd definitely go through Lowes again for the better price.

• tube
    13 years ago

I'd buy the Marvin Integrity French Sliding Door if it was my vacation home.

• willinak
    13 years ago

Any experience with the Marvin Ultrex window in cold, high elevation environment?

• afsa
    13 years ago

From my experience it should not be an issue at all!