Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cvette

Roll Call: Extruded Alum Clad sold in the Northeast

cvette
13 years ago

Hi, I'm researching extruded aluminum clad windows available for purchase in the Northeast. Here are the products I am aware of, are there any others? Thanks.

Kolbe

Loewen

Eagle

Marvin

Semco

Comments (7)

• afsa
    13 years ago

LePage(best in this bunch), I believe some of the Jeldwen line, Weathershield, Hurd plus more I am sure, just can;t think of them at the moment. Not attesting to any or all's quality but they are EXTRUDED.

• cvette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks afsa. I'm looking for an extruded aluminum clad DH window that would be equivalent to the Marvin Ultimate but at a better bargain (less expensive). I could go with an Andersen Woodwright for about $300 each from my local builder supply but I'd prefer extruded aluminum. My Marvin dealer wants $475. I'd like to get closer to $300-350 each so I'm trying to find other options in my area. The Jeldwen Custom line uses rolled aluminum. Any suggestions about which companies or product lines to check out from the ones you listed? Thanks again.

• afsa
    13 years ago

Where are you located cvette? I am be able to help you.How many units are you looking for?

• cvette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm in Albany, NY. We're doing 3 DH plus a casement now with 11 more DH over the next few years. Which ever unit we choose now we'd like to use the same one for the future installs. I'm a mechanical engineer and probably over-think/analyze these types of decisions. I've been looking at air infiltration, SHGC, U, type of seals at the sashes and meeting rail, etc. Any opinions or information you have is appreciated. The compression jamb and the composite exterior of the Woodwright concern me but other than that it seems like a good value. I'm worried about the composite (Fibrex/Permashield) fading in full sun for our east facing house. I'm trying to research my extruded AL clad options if we don't go Andersen.

• Dee C
    last year

If you're still around, @cvette, do you mind sharing what you went with and how they're holding up? Thank you.

• Dee C
    last year

Thank you for sharing your choice, @cvette. I am glad that you are happy with them after 9 years. That's great. I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to have to stain them after installation...really struggling with that. Most of the windows I'm looking at come in painted (white, black, bronze-) or unfinished pine. There is only one "mid-tier" range manufacturer in my area that offers factory stain finish and none of their three options for stain really match my woodwork. The alternative is having a professional stain them after installation but that seems daunting, especially in winter. I have considered going with painted window (and hoping that I can successfully mix paint and stain in our living room that has stained wainscoting).