Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a window be flipped?

Posted by mbcullen (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 3:16

I'm installing a range hood that will exhaust externally. One issue that I've run into is that the vent is going to be within three feet of an operable bathroom window. One suggestion from the guy at the city building permit office was to remove that window, flip it so that the sliding part is on the opposite side and reinstall. That would provide the clearance necessary for the vent. Is that something that can be done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a window be flipped?

Not usually. The weep holes are on the bottom and designed to drain any accumulated moisture from the frame.

Every window is different. Check with the manufacturer.

o

In a residential application there is not usually a clearance to range hood vents required.

It is NOT a plumbing vent (or a furnace vent).

o

Ah, I figured there was probably something that would prevent it from going in both ways.

It's an environmental air vent. So according to the 2006 International Mechanical code (what has been adopted by the city of Boulder) a minimum of 3 feet of clearance is required. I verified this with the planning department.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here