Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which windows are better

Posted by urbaneve (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 1:49

I live in Mississippi along the coast (near gulfport) and I want to replace my windows, but I am not sure which type or brand to go with.

I am wondering which is better - aluminum or vinyl. Now before anyone says - search google -- I have and I have come up with so many different answers... I will be replacing all the windows in the house and we will also have the house Spray Foamed using 3 inch closed cell in the attic and 2 inch closed cell in the walls...

So I am curious which would be the better type to use, also which brand would be recommended - I keep hearing conflicting reports about some brands, so any detailed advice would be great. (if you like or dislike a certain brand, please give details)

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which windows are better

Where is the 3" of foam going in the attic? If across the underside of the roof deck to create a sealed attic, you are going to need more than that to be up to code and proper.

Also, spraying directly to the roof deck is not advisable. If you ever need to replace the roof and a piece of plywood, you will loose the foam at the same time. That makes that piece of plywood very expensive.

If you are putting 3" on the attic floor, that is a huge waste of money from the stand point of air sealing.

How are you getting 2" of spray foam on the walls? Are you ripping down all the drywall?

Your project is intriguing to me and I would love to help give you any advice that I can.

o
RE: Which windows are better

As far as window advice you would need to give us an idea of what type of windows your looking to use and what your looking for these to do for you?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here