Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryangw_gw

Replacement windows - best type - Southwest Michigan

ryangw
9 years ago

Backstory - I purchased a home which was built in 1978, all the windows in the home are tall Casement windows, The majority of the windows are on the East and West Sides of the house. The North and West sides of the house are showing severe signs of wood rot and in some cases the frame around the glass is coming apart.

I'm now looking for replacement windows, and I see that there are a variety of types out there Clad-wood (some seem "clad" with aluminum; fiberglass; or vinyl), Vinyl Windows, and Fiberglass windows.

I've read through other message threads here and it seems that the type recommended varies based on climate. So My primary question is what is the best type for this area? I've seen some people mention that clad-wood eventually leaks and then rots (since I'm currently having rot as an issue that seems bad) but I don't know what the typical # of years is before that sort of failure happens.

My next question would be what brands should I be looking at - I don't plan on selling anytime soon. From looking at other threads it looks like the various brands related to "Marvin" seem popular to recommend, but their similar names and possibly overlapping model names seem to have me confused.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

What do you want the look of the window to be on the interior?

• ryangw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the reply.

I asked my wife, and I believe we're pretty flexible on the look as far as material goes - wood or wood like is fine, but something more plastic / vinyl looking would be okay also. Her only strong opinion was that she doesn't want it to be "white". I'm primarily concerned with performance / maintenance / longevity.

I did some further reading last night and don't know if "replacement" is the right word now, I'm not sure if there is damage to the wood / materials around the existing windows. Not sure if that impacts recommendations or not.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Does she not want it to bright white or white at all?

In terms of what you want for longevity and durability, vinyl is very well proven in your climate and you will get more efficiency dollar per dollar comparison.

• ryangw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure on how severe the "no white" position is, she could change her mind as we start looking at options. I think the main goal at this point would be to try to narrow down the number of brands or at minimum the composition of the window so I can look into getting estimates.

For vinyl windows do you have any recommendations for brands or models for (crank out) casement windows?

• PRO
    9 years ago

Michigan is the home of Sunrise windows and they make a very nice casement.

Their Vanguard and Restorations lines (in the DH operator) are the more well regarded units but all the casements are the same.

• ryangw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, I've put in a request for a dealer to contact me.

When reading the other message threads I'd see discussion about fiberglass windows, any thoughts on those?

• PRO
    9 years ago

Fiberglass is a fine product and does offer a different aesthetic and typically more finish options but there are no real significant performance benefits as compared to well engineered other material equivalents.

Wow...when I read that back...it makes no sense.

The long and short is that if your wife is okay with vinyl and the look, there are plenty of great performing vinyl windows that are as good, if not better, than their fiberglass equivalents.

• ryangw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I understood it :)

Question on vinyl - do modern vinyl windows that come in a color (other than white) still fade? I saw old message threads where people complained about fading but I wasn't sure if that problem had be reduced or solved (I think these were circa 2006 - so awhile back)

Again - thanks very much for the information, this has simplified things a lot.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

Everything fades, even vettes made from fibrex.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Ha...!!

Todd made a funny again.

But in all seriousness, the paint technology is very good these days and many are coming with 20 year warranties.

We have painted windows that are 10 years old that look like the day they went in.

• ryangw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The first estimate for Sunrise came in at $26.8k on 4 picture, 18 casement, 1 bay for pocket installs.

Our second estimate which was for infinity ultrex fg - with 4 of the casements switched to double hungs and 2 of the picture (with flanking casements) switched to sliders came in at $25.8k on 2 pictures, 10 casement, 2 sliders, 2 double hungs for full frame install.

Both quotes were for color on the outside (non-white) with a fake wood interior.

I'm going to ask the Sunrise person for a quote with the adjusted window styles and for a full frame version as well as ask him about if they have experienced problems with the extra tall casements (80") - according to this other thread they do have ones that tall on their price sheet. The tall casements were switched to double hungs in the infinity quote.

Are there other questions / concerns that I should be raising with these people? At this price point I'd rather over do it than under do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about tall (80

• PRO
    9 years ago

I am not a fan of 80" casements for certain.

The rest of the questions look good.

References.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH