Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
insulated glass unit on stud replacement help

Posted by messyguy (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 0:14

Hi,
We have floor to ceiling glass windows on one side of the house in Washington state. They are just single paned glass on wall stud ( finished wood frame ) hold with wood stops. We want to replace them with insulated glass units. We need help with these questions:
1. The installation guideline for insulated glass units. We couldn't find it anywhere!

2. Beside homedepot and local glass shop , is there a better place to purchase them (IGUs)
We appreciate your feed back!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: insulated glass unit on stud replacement help

The local glass shop would be the place to go, not HD. The local glass shop will be able to advise you on the best glass based on your conditions. They would be the cheapest source for IGs too.

o

1. I would opt for a full frame unit, personally, because of its ability to accommodate water drainage and any water that might make it past the primary seal of the glass to frame connection.

2. Glass shop or local supplier.

o

WoW - +1

By far the single biggest reason for IG failure with modern systems is water. Unless some provision is made for keeping water away from the edge of the IG, you will have problems down the road.

o

100% agree with the above posts. I've seen this mistake in homes before. If the situation isn't ideal (proper space between the glass and frame, glazed correctly, paint and maintenance every few years) the glass will fail in a matter of years. Have a professional do it from a glass shop or even better have someone install a direct set unit from a manufacturer.

o

thanks guys for the feedback. I agree with all that insulated glass units may require lot of maintenance and pose some potential failure like you guys said. Full frame unit won't look right since that side of the house there is no dry wall, only wood frame.
I will post a picture next week.
Thanks,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here