Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
windows bid comparison question

Posted by michoumonster (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 23:55

Hi all,
I just got 2 quotes for eagle windows and french doors. although i gave both the same instructions, they both are a little different, as well as pricing. I was wondering if you could help me interpret them? i know in general, the color doesn't matter as there are 53 standard colors at no extra charge. Also, fir and pine are the same cost for eagle windows. but i am confused about the wall differences, which is the better window, or does this matter?

thanks very much!

Quote #1 describes windows as:
Clad Casements, 4 9/16" wall, jamb all sides, pine, drip cap nailfin, no brickmold, bronze frame, bronze sash, colonial stops
TOTAL: $75K

Quote #2 describes windows as:
Clad Casements, 2 7/8" wall, kerfed 11/16" x 1 5/16", jamb all sides, fir, drip cap nailfin, no brickmold, white frame, white sash, colonial stops
TOTAL: $69K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: windows bid comparison question

Not 100% sure as I have not sold Eagle in years but i do believe the standard jamb is 2 7/8" and then they use an extension piece called an extension jamb to bring it flush to your interior wall. Andersen does the same with their casement units. So i would surmise that the company pricing it as a 4 9/16 wall is actually pricing it the same as the 2 7/8" wall with 1 5/16" jamb all 4 sides.

o
RE: windows bid comparison question

Hi millworkman,
Thanks for the explanation. To give more info, the company pricing as 4 9/16" wall gave me another quote with retractable insect screen option where the windows are 4 7/8" wall, i assume because of the different screen option. Does it mean they are thicker windows?
Both companies specified the french doors at 4 9/16" however. So i am quite confused.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here