Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandylandy

Help, please! How to put screens on tilt and turn windows?

dandylandy
11 years ago

Hi there,

We have an apartment in NYC. The prior owner renovated many years ago and at that time installed tilt and turn windows. They are quite large (65" wide by 52" tall) and have a crank with a key that locks the windows.

When you turn the crank to the right, the top opens inwards into the apartment until a maximum of about 6 inches at the top (but the bottom of the window is totally shut.) This happens whether they are locked or unlocked.

If you turn the handle the other way, and the window is unlocked, then the entire window swings into the apartment as if it is a door. This is really scary considering we are very high up (like 200 feet above the pavement below...) so I locked the windows so they cannot open inwards in that way, since we have children.

What kind of screens could we put on these? We have a lot of bugs, especially mosquitos, flying into the apartment, but sometimes bees (and I'm allergic and have to use an epipen if stung) so we really need screens. We love fresh air, and it is sad to have to keep the windows shut.

I asked the super but he is new to the building and couldn't come up with any ideas for me, and most other residents have normal double-hung windows.

We would like the screens to keep out bugs but be very sheer as we have great views!

I have heard of retractable screens, but that wouldn't work with these windows as they are too large to reach the screen, even if you got your hand out the window... *unless maybe motorized with remote control?

Ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of tilt and turn windows

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

The best thing to do would be to locate the manufacturer label on your window. You will typically find them on the sash or jamb side of the window.

Check the head jamb as well.

If you can locate the manufacturer and serial number, that would be easiest as they do make screens and the manufacturer should be able to produce the proper size and fitment screen from the serial number.

I agree that a tilt and turn is not the best option for a 20 floor highrise too.

You might want to consider some sort of fall arrest bar across the outside.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    11 years ago

Open the window so that it swings into the room and look on the outside to see if there is a track around the entire perimeter. If so, that is where a screen will go. I am familiar with Marvin's tilt turn and the screen in on the outside and will accommodate either of the tilt turn's opening positions.

• PRO
    11 years ago

+1

Most have some sort of screen track as ventilation is pretty critical for any window.

• dandylandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the tips.

I found the number on the inside - the manufacturer is a German company named Geze, which is written on the cranks.

The numbers I found are 062939B (I think this is the window model) and the other number is 063030 (I think this is the crank model number.)

Sadly, my google search did not turn up anything using these numbers.

I did not see a "track" for a screen outside. I saw two small holes, one at the far bottom right and one at the far bottom left of the window, but there were not corresponding ones at the top (e.g. I thought maybe you could hook a screen on with 4 hooks....)

I posted about 10 photos in photobucket - you can see the window from the outside balcony opened inward, plus a closeup of the track, and the tilt in and so on.

We have 6 of these windows - does anyone have an idea what screens might cost? I am starting to think this is not going to be as straightforward as I had hoped.

Thanks again for all advice and suggestions!

• dandylandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, wow, very interesting link EastBay10, I had not heard of Service Magic - will give those providers calls and see what they say. :-)

• PRO
    11 years ago

They do not appear to have a dedicated screen track.

That being said, they do have a nice deep jamb on the exterior and a decent screen company should be able to make a set pretty simply.

• dandylandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, WindowsonWashington, it is a relief to hear that it should be simple.

Everything in this apartment has caused a headache - nothing has been "simple" so far and the word "custom" now strikes fear into our heart and causes deep, stabbing pains in our wallets. :-(

• dandylandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

:-), thanks windowsonwashington! I am waiting to hear back from a few businesses now.

• HU-580663142
    3 years ago

Hi, I know that this is an old post, but did you get it sorted as I am having the exact same issue as you, the only difference is that I'm in London, we have a heatwave this weekend and I can't have the windows open 😕