Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peace_rose_gw

Alside Windows - any reviews?

peace_rose
14 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the window forum!

We are building a kitchen/dining room addition on our home and will be breaking ground early next month. We'll be installing 6 double hung windows. There's a small local window store we would like to support, and the main products they carry are from Alside Windows. I did a search here and couldn't find any feedback. Does anyone have enough experience with this company to speak about the quality of their windows? We are still undecided if we will use wood or vinyl. Thanks!

Comments (71)

• satchel_cinci_rr_com
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Recently bought a home in the Cincinnati area which requires new windows. Does anyone know of Gilkey Windows,we just talked to a company which uses Alside (Excalibur). Any comments, experiences with the two products. Looking at vinyl, double hung windows.

• Royj
    12 years ago

I have had Alside Excaliber in my home for 3 years with no problems!

• websnooper
    12 years ago

That is good feedback, but I think it would be safe to assume that you should not have any problems inside of 3 years.

I also think that it is worth noting that the "no problems" endorsement is not the most scientific measurement or indication of how a quality window would be identified.

• OhioWindoze
    11 years ago

Big issues for Alside AMI, LLC....see website link.

Here is a link that might be useful: AMI Alsides parent company in major debt!

• illegalsmile
    11 years ago

Big issues for Alside AMI, LLC....see website link.

Sigh, i'm doing major reno on a foreclosure i just bought and my contractor had his sub price out Alside Series 80 windows. Now that I'm reading this and seeing these reviews I'm definitely NOT going with Alside.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

you havent had any problems in 3 years with alside excalibur? i guarantee if someone with even the slightest amount of knowledge regarding window performance stopped by your home on a cold day they would feel plenty of cold air coming through those windows. every low budget contractor uses Alside excalibur, Silverline by andersen, or MI Windows..they are cheaply priced and cheaply made. it makes absolutely no sense as to why a homeowner would choose such poor quality just to save a buck..what happens in a few years? they wind up doing the job twice because they are unhappy with the poor performance. i see this all the time.

• phenie53
    10 years ago

If you don't like Alside excalibur or silverline by Andersen, what would you recommend?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Where are you located?

The brands, in vinyl, commonly recommended are Okna, Soft-Lite, Sunrise, and HiMark.

• gnancyanne
    10 years ago

I just happened upon this when I googled Alside model 0201 and am aghast! I had Alside windows installed in 2/07 based on the recommendation of an electrician/plumber (who had been an architect & voluntarily changed professions) that I'd used. I have Excalibur windows and except for one in the BR, haven't noticed anything dire. I discovered the one in the BR wasn't installed properly when I had siding put on the house. The window installer did a generally sloppy job, but that's another story.

Now, I do have a problem. The frame of one of the BR windows wasn't made properly and I never figured out why the installer even installed it. At the time of installation, I was unable to pursue it, but it's always bothered me, so I made a warranty claim 3 weeks ago. I don't have a decision, but after reading about others' experiences with their windows, and elsewhere, where there are condensation problems (that I don't have), I wonder if I should leave well enough alone, assuming they agree to replace the window. (see photo of frame defect)

The other thing is--I didn't replace one kitchen window because I was considering doing a greenhouse window. Now, I'm redoing my kitchen and was going to have another Alside window installed to match the rest of my windows. But, now I'll be worried about it.

Could it be that the quality varies depending on where you live? (meaning do they make the windows in various locations?)

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Yikes! ... As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

One of the MANY reasons most pro's dislike the quality of the alside excalibur.

• gnancyanne
    10 years ago

I thought I'd done my homework about replacement windows before settling on Alside, and had checked with Andersen and Pella, too, but the dog must've eaten that homework 'cause I guess I made a big mistake!

I thought the guy who installed the windows was a pro; he has a home improvement company and installs a lot of these windows. And, as I said, he came highly recommended by another tradesman who knew him (I"ll call him CC) and had used CC to install windows for his own house. Since I'd had the tradesman do electrical and plumbing for me (and he'd come highly recommended, too) and I had been happy with his work, I took his recommendation.

Due to a number of reasons, I was unable to pursue my complaints at the time of installation about the poor job CC did. And, it was the first time I'd had anything major done to my house so I was pretty naive. Complicating matters was the fact that my house previously had mid-Fifties aluminum windows without any casing (if that's the term)--they were built right into the walls without woodwork or trim. Very modern at the time, I'm sure, but seemed to present a problem when getting estimates for replacement windows.

I have two bathrooms that back up to each other and the window of each sit next to each other when viewed from outside and appear to be the same size. I had a hint about CC when he told me, jovially, that he only measured the window in one of the bathrooms and they weren't actually the same size, haha, but he could make it work. Oh, we had a good laugh! Saying he was less than receptive when I did try to talk to him would be an understatement. (Then, he had the nerve to send me a friend request on Facebook! and ask for money for a mission trip, too. That's part of what had me fooled; CC talked a lot about doing these mission trips to Central America to improve housing.)

But back to windows--these seem okay and much better than what I had, they operate okay and don't really seem drafty now that the installation of a couple of them has been fixed, and another one that didn't sit flush with the drywall on the inside (you could see the top edge of the drywall) had to be fixed, and then there was the s****y windowsills that had to be replaced. Oh, yes, where was I? Except for that photo I posted, the rest of the windows themselves look nice enough, frames don't look too thick, lots of glass, no warping, no condensation, etc. So, I feel like I've been lucky.

What I really want to know is, and I may be putting the cart before the horse, what should I do if Alside agrees to replace the window with the frame defect? I don't see how they can't since it's so obviously from the manufacturing, but I'll have to pay for labor, I'm sure, since it's been so long since the window was installed. Also, it's mulled to another window. So, there would be two windows replaced. Right now, no condensation issues, just a bad corner of the frame. If I have the chance to replace it, will I be opening a whole new can of worms?

If anybody is still with me, I could use any opinion you care to give. How many vote for "don't worry about it until Alside says they're going to replace the window"?

This post was edited by gnancy on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 9:02

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Had you installed higher quality windows, you would of really noticed a difference in drafts. Why in the world would you take window advice from a plumber.?

• gnancyanne
    10 years ago

Thank you for telling me that, but it is too late now. And, you are not helping because you have offered no opinion on what I was asking help with. However, I will reply to your ridiculous question.

I was taking his advice because he had personal experience with the windows (having had them installed in his house and he liked them), his experience with this installer (who he seemed to know beyond the installation job), and in general, his knowledge of how house/building stuff works, which I don't have. All of this despite his being a plumber. (And, he is a master electrician as well.)

This post was edited by gnancy on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 0:21

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Dont know what your cat has to do with a window forum, thats very strange. Anyway, hopefully alside will honor their warranty.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 9:40

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

gnancy, to clarify, you are saying that the window looked like that 6 years ago when it was installed, and you are just making a warranty claim now? Based on that, I'd think that they could probably deny the claim if they wanted, however Alside has always been very receptive when it comes to warranty service in my experience... It almost looks like that area was exposed to some excessive heat or something along those lines.
    On the install, unless your installer provided a labor and/or service warranty, you will be stuck for paying that. The fact that it is a mulled unit with only one bad frame means that the whole thing will probably need to be taken out, pulled apart, and reassembled with the new frame. It will be a fairly intensive process (ie: not cheap).

• gnancyanne
    10 years ago

The window looked like that at installation. I know it's been a long time, but I figured I had nothing to lose by making a claim. When you see it in person, I think it is obvious that it is a manufacturing defect, and I realize I would be responsible for labor if the claim is approved. As I said, there were extenuating circumstances at the time of installation so I couldn't address the problem then, and subsequently, thought it was too late to pursue it.

Now, I've been having work done on all the other windows to correct what the original installer considered to be windowsills, and I thought maybe I should see if anything could be done to this one before getting the windowsill replaced. But, even though I don't have a decision yet, I started worrying that maybe I should leave well enough alone because I haven't had any problems with condensation issues.

• PRO
    10 years ago

+1

That inside dam leg is not supremely pertinent to the function and performance of that window. There may be a bit of air leakage at that corner but that is certainly not going to make a huge dent in the cumulative leakage of an Alside window as a general rule.

Best thing to do would be to open the window, apply some tape to the inside of that area, and caulk that inside seam and let it cure.

The replacement of that frame would be an expensive undertaking as a singular unit.

• gnancyanne
    10 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion. No, there really is no air leakage, just the cosmetic ickiness. In hindsight, I wish I would have done something back then, but what is it they say about hindsight?

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

If it has not seen heat yet, it might be worth a shot. I've done some amazing things to deformed and damaged vinyl with very careful use of a heat gun.

• gnancyanne
    10 years ago

That's a good constructive comment. The carpenter/handyman who's been fixing the windowsills (and doing some other repairs for me) is really good. I'll have to ask him about this since I'm a little hesitant to attempt it myself. Thanks.

• pspturtle
    10 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the window forum!

I just signed a contract with a local window company LEI (around Cincinnati, Ohio and Lexington, Kentucky area) to purchase 6 windows. The windows are from Alside's Revelation line, the glass options says "Argon Triple Pane/TG2". Based on the representative's presentation, the windows seem to be great. Of course, I have very limited knowledge about windows, and only focus on the problems of my old windows, so their demo appears to look much nicer than my old ones. The price tag is 4.5K including installation, tax, and all the expenses associated the the new windows and installations. LEI provides 50 years warranty, labor & windows, which seem to be surreal as one can't assume the company will last that long. They told me for me to get a big discount (from $7,500 to $4,500), I need to agree to be LEI's model home, and display their company sign on my front yard. After signed the contract, I started doing more researches, and found this forum. I guess I should have done the research first. Now I am getting worried about my decision. I have 3 days to cancel the contract. I would like to ask your advise if I should consider the option of cancelling the contract?

Thank you in advance for all the kind advise.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

Cancel the contract. The "model home" discount is bogus, designed to get a quick agreement before the homeowner has an opportunity to get another estimate. These type of companies should be avoided for the deceptive sales tactics.

Take some time and get two or three more quotes using better windows like Sunrise, Soft-lite, Okna, Gorell. If you can't find a dealer for those brands, you might take a look at the Simonton 5500.

• PRO
    10 years ago

+1

Model home pitches and 40% discounts are sure fire signs of a shady approach to the business.

• pspturtle
    10 years ago

Windowsonwashington and Ultrawindows,

Thank you so much for the advice. I called the salesperson to tell him that I would like to cancel the contract and have my down payment check (30% of the $4.5K) returned to me. I also mailed a written cancellation notice to the company office at Ohio via certified mail. It should reach the company on Tuesday. This way, I will have some basic protection if they claim that I did not cancel the contract officially by Wednesday midnight.

Thank you so much for the kind guidance. Next time before buying any window I definitely will do a lot of research first.

• gnancyanne
    10 years ago

pspturtle, I wouldn't feel bad. I think windows are one of the hardest things to research. I thought I'd researched windows before I bought the Alside, and actually, I haven't had problems with the windows (knock on wood) but more with the installation. (When I got my windows, I don't think I even knew about the GardenWeb.)

On another note--I just got the response from Alside about my warranty claim for the funky window frame corner (pictured earlier). Guess what they said (after 5 weeks)? I have to have a contractor inspect it before they can make a decision!

• pspturtle
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the kind advises. I called the salesperson to cancel the contract. Next day, his manager called me saying that the salesperson made a mistake when calculating my contract, and the "correct" number should be about $1,000 more (i.e., $5,500), but he was willing to give me the original quot, plus gave me additional $600 discount. I almost laughed when I heard that. Anyway, I insisted cancelling the contract, and mailed him my notice via USPS Certified Priority Mail. The salesperson dropped off my down-payment check yesterday.

Gnancy, I agree that installation is an important issue with windows. I have learned a lot from reading these forums. I was very confused before reading them. Now, at least I understand why I shouldn't make such quick decision, and why I shouldn't compare my old crappy window to any new windows. Next time I will do more research before making such major decision.

Thanks to all of you!!!

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

Wow. That makes me even more confident that getting away from that sleazy company was the right move. Now you can find a company that deals honestly with you.

• pspturtle
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the kind advises. I called the salesperson to cancel the contract. Next day, his manager called me saying that the salesperson made a mistake when calculating my contract, and the "correct" number should be about $1,000 more (i.e., $5,500), but he was willing to give me the original quot, plus gave me additional $600 discount. I almost laughed when I heard that. Anyway, I insisted cancelling the contract, and mailed him my notice via USPS Certified Priority Mail. The salesperson dropped off my down-payment check yesterday.

Gnancy, I agree that installation is an important issue with windows. I have learned a lot from reading these forums. I was very confused before reading them. Now, at least I understand why I shouldn't make such quick decision, and why I shouldn't compare my old crappy window to any new windows. Next time I will do more research before making such major decision.

Thanks to all of you!!!

• PRO
    10 years ago

Glad you are learning a lesson before you learned a bad lesson.

Sounds good and keep us posted.

• JohnG22
    10 years ago

I recently purchased a home that had Alside vinyl Swing & Clean windows installed in what had originally been a screened in porch in 2007.

The room now has an unbearable smell that I have not been able to resolve. It is not organic and after a lot of research seems to possibly be "off gassing" of vinyl chloride from the windows. Has anyone else ever experienced this type problem from these or any other solid vinyl windows?

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Maybe your head is off gassing. Thats ridiculous and this is coming from someone that is NOT an alside fan. The off gassing is probably from the glue you are snifing.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

@ mmarsel

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

@ John, in all honesty I'd have to agree with mmarsel in that it is highly unlikely that you would get an "unbearable" smell from off-gassing windows. Many years in this business, and the only noticeable smell from vinyl windows is gone within a couple days when the caulk is dry. I'm not saying that no off-gassing occurs, but if you do some more research on the subject, it is very low levels. Far lower than things like carpet, paints and stains, etc. Is there anything else in the room that perhaps you are overlooking?

• PRO
    10 years ago

Little to no off-gassing from uPVC unless you hold a blow torch to it.

• JohnG22
    10 years ago

However unlikely it may seem that my Alside vinyl swing and clean windows are offgassing enough to cause a problem, someting is going on out there. Since we moved into this home three months ago, everything has been removed. The smell may not be "unbearable" but it is distinct and really makes the room unusale. I first removed the carpet and through it away. The floor was floor was sealed with Kiltz sealer and then painted with a normal indoor latex paint. I spent $300 on having an "ordor removal" company come in with an ozone machine that would remove any organic causing odor source to no avail. I cleaned the walls with a industrial strength "odor rmoval" cleanser and vinegar and baking soda, etc. It is definitely a chemical smell and it not to bad when the windows are all open and the weather is very cold. As soon as the windows are closed the smell returns pretty quickly, especially when the sun comes through the windows and warms the room. All the research I have been able to do via google etc. seems to show pretty much what you have said here unless the windows were mfg in
    China which apparently there could be a problem. This is just what I can find, but nothing specific about these windows but a lot of Chinese made PVC products from toys to building materials. Any chance my windows were made in China and how can I find out? Is there any way to test the air in the room to determine what the smell is?

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

All of Alside's products are made domestically to my knowledge.
    It sounds like you are going to great lengths to figure out this problem. If you want to eliminate the windows as a potential culprit, seal them off. You can use some plastic window film or something along those lines, or whatever other means that you may come up with. Was there any adhesive left behind after removing the carpet?

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

As HomeSealed suggested covering the windows with heavy weight plastic might help determine whether or not it's the windows.

While I would be shocked to hear that the vinyl windows are off-gassing, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the sealants used around the windows. A contractor who would use Alside windows probably isn't overly concerned with using quality sealants either.

Another possibility would be the accessories used on the vinyl window. Perhaps Alside has purchased weep hole covers or balance covers or some other cheap plastic part of the window from China. This is just a thought based on the fact that we know plastics imported from China can be problematic.

• JohnG22
    10 years ago

One of my earliest suspicions about the odor was the carpet. I pulled that up and through it away. Then I wondered about the glue left behind so I had a contractor seal the floor with Kiltz sealer and the paint it with an indoor latex paint. Since we just moved into the home the room is empty. I have had the windows open (even in inclement weather) for 3 months now and when aired out and very cold, the smell is a bit had to detect, but still there. As soon as I close the windows for a day and the sun warms up the room, the odor returns if full force.

If it is a sealent problem or something else used in installing the windows, how can I determine it? And what could be done about it? Is there any way to get someone to come out and determine just what the chemical is causing the odor? Thanks to all for your responses. I was sure hoping it is not the windows, but nothing else is out there.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

You could hire a professional indoor air quality testing company to test the air. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but they could probably be very helpful in pinning the source down.

If it was a sealant around the windows, it could be cleaned out from around the windows and new sealants applied. I doubt this is the source, by the way, but thought I'd offer something to at least consider.

• PRO
    10 years ago

I would also hire and IAQ professional and get the air tested for what contaminants are in the air.

That will narrow the scope.

• crabycat
    10 years ago

I just had to respond to the chemical smelling room. I have a boy cat who has ruined several windows. Does is small like cat pee? The urine seeps down into the window seals and down into the wall. When the sun comes in and heats up the smell gets stronger. I have actually poured an enzyme for cat urine Natures Miracle down into the cracks.
    Good luck.

• garling42
    9 years ago

Anyone familiar with Revelation Fusion - Welded Vinyl Windows by Alside?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Any window by Alside is garbage. 60 odd posts and not one will tell you any they make are any good.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

I just had a customer call me about replacing his Alside " Ultramaxx" windows. They are 3 years old and leak a tremendous amount of air. The warranty will not cover that because the window is poorly designed.
    He is going to replace all 14 of his windows, he is now doing his job twice.
    Also. The Ultramaxx has a pocket sill which is a cheap/ bad design. This can also lead to problems. Just a bulky, poorly designed window. Same with sheffield .

• gnancyanne
    9 years ago

mmarse1--so what kind of windows will you be using? (I know what you think of Alside.) And, are the windows you install a regional window brand? I'm gathering information while saving my pennies to replace my "big mistake".

• Nicholas DeSouza
    last year

Ordered windows in October of 2021. Windows are still nowhere to be seen.After putting deposit down in October, I was contacted the next day in an attempt to collect another 1000$ because the price they quoted me and I’d already paid for didn’t look good to them anymore. I was told 8 weeks for delivery. I’ve called every month since December and im always told they will look into it. If im lucky enough to get a call back, im just kicked down the road a month and never given a reason why. I’ve called corporate, been told someone would reach out to me today. They never do. The customer service there apparently doesn’t believe in “customers “ as they are only allowed to talk to businesses. The level of rudeness by the woman I spoke with today was astounding. In no way was she trying to solve anything other than talking over me, cutting me off and arguing. My contractor has long since moved on and I’ve spent 20 weeks living in a house with borded up windows and no sunlight because windows were removed in preparation for the windows being in on time. When I call the local office in Portland Maine now, im literally laughed at on the phone and just given a date a month out. I’ve loss thousands in heating bills, my contractor is gone, I’ll need to find another one to install if my windows ever appear. Hopefully someone who actually cares about the company name sees this and reaches out. At this point, my next stop is the Better Buisness Bureau and every window review site on the internet until I’m finally noticed.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    last year

Have you confirmed that your Alside order was placed by your contractor? If the order wasn't placed and paid for, there's really nothing Alside can do for you. If you are going to complain to the BBB and on internet forums, you should be naming the contractor rather than Alside.

• Nicholas DeSouza
    last year

i paid for the windows myself in person. this has nothing to due with my contractor. I paid 50% down to order. the next day they called demanding another thousand over what i was quoted and paid for. that was 28 weeks ago and cannot get a straight answer from anyone. infact when i call the local office, im litterally laughed at and told, well i guess its just gonna be next month they will be here now.

• PRO
    last year

I am not a huge fan of their window line up, but this type of treatment is nothing that I have ever heard of or would be legally defensible. What Alside Supply are you dealing with? They have corporate structure and management that would want to know about this and could likely remedy this very quickly.