Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanley606

Best Window Choice

stanley606
13 years ago

I plan on building a home next spring and would like some help deciding on a window brand. I have narrowed exterior down to aluminum clad or fiberglass. I want wood interiors, every company that I have looked at offers these. Here are the sizes:

3'0 x 5'0 double hung: quantity 9

3'0 x 6'6 double hung: quantity 4

2'0 x 3'0 double hung: quantity 2

3'3 x 3'6 casement: quantity 1

3'0 x 6'6 round top over double hung: quantity 2

1 bay window over soaking tub

1 palladian window above front entrance

The brands I have looked and priced are Marvin Integrity, Weathershield Fiberglass, Sun Windows with aluminum clad and Hurd aluminum clad and Jeld Wen Traditions. I have read a lot on here about window specs but would like to hear personal opinions of each. I know many window problems come from improper installation, but that will not be an issue. Please help with some advice, I want this to my first and only home and want to do it right the first time (not to sound too much like Mike Holmes). My budget is around 13k-15k and all have fallen in that price point so far. I thank you in advance.

Comments (8)

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Marvin is going to be the best of that group. I would avoid anything by Hurd.

• stanley606
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does Hurd make an inferior product compared to Marvin? Anyone had a bad experience with Hurd? I haven't heard anything good or bad with Sun, but their ratings are very good, so I wanted to keep them on my list.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

A quick Google search will turn up a long history of problems with Hurd windows.

Who has rated Sun?

• stanley606
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just meant u-factor, sghc, etc as far as ratings. I know they are a smaller company, with smaller sales, so fewer people to post on like or dislike.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Choosing windows based on U-factors and SHGC is a common mistake consumers make when shopping for windows. That method is a little like choosing an automobile based on fuel economy. Using that criteria a Kia would rate higher than a Lexus.

Some of the things that need to be considered also are air infiltration rates, water penetration, structural rating, warranties, installation quality, manufacturers reputation for consistent quality and customer service.

• stanley606
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So out of the list, you feel that the Integrity product is the best of the group... is there another brand of window along the same price range that I am missing? I was away from home for a couple days, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your insight though.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Fiberglass is going to be your best choice for the long term. You could take a look at Milgard if they are available in your area but I think you are going to be hard pressed to purchase anything but a mid grade vinyl window in the price range you have set.

• stanley606
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow this is frustrating... I had exterior either being alum. clad or fiberglass. I understand that fiberglass would expand and contract at the same rate as the glass itself, so it should provide the best seal. I guess I could expand my budget a little depending on how much. The companies I have read for fiberglass are the Marvin Integrity, Milgard and Weathershield. You said that the Integrity is the best of the brands I had listed. I don't have a Milgard dealer in my area, but I'm sure they would deliver for a price. Weathershield a good product, but not as nice as the Marvin?