Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mase9921

New Construction Jeld Wen, Pella, Eagle?

mase9921
12 years ago

First let me know say that I do not know a lot about windows, but am learning. This forum has a lot of great information. We are building a new house and are deciding between Jeld Wen, Pella, and Eagle double-hung windows. In our neighborhood, we cannot have vinyl, fiberglass, or composite materials. We are pretty much set on Black exteriors, which rules out Anderson 200's and 400's, which we would have probably chosen otherwise. Marvin Integrity is also out because I guess they are viewed as composite by the association. In our old house, we had Marvin Casements and loved them, but can't afford them this time around.

Our builder usually uses the Jeld Wen builders wood, but I was not overly impressed with them so we're looking at:

Pella Proline: I do know there were some issues with these windows with rot and there's a lawsuite brewing, but has anyone puchased these windows lately and had a good experience?

Eagle: These seem like a great window, but are quite a bit more expensive

Jeld Wen: Maybe we move to a Premium line of Jeldwen like the Tradition or Siteline.

Any thoughts on any of these products would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Since your HOA is so oppressively restrictive, why don't you ask them to provide you with a list of "approved" windows? That's better than playing the game of "how about this one".

• mase9921
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My biulder is also the subdivision developer, he said aluminum or wood exteriors are pretty much it.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

I know the reputation of the company is spotty, however, the last few Jeld Wen windows we have looked at have been decent. I don't have any real extended life-cycle analysis but they seem to be okay.

If aluminum clad wood is it, why not Marvin?

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Take a look at Kolbe and LePage if there is a dealer near you. LePage is a very nice wood unit with a 6/4 eastern solid clear pine frame, they never use finger joint with an options extruded aluminum exterior.

• mase9921
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would love to be able to go with Marvin, but their quote was about an extra 20k. Dont have that kind of scratch this time around unfortunately. I will check out the others. We are leaning toward Pella maybe in a casement instead of DH.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    12 years ago

its interesting they do not allow some of the best windows for the money...

out of that list, Eagle would be my vote. I know prolines are the cheapest wood option from Pella, but maybe to compare apples to apples look at the Designer or Architect line too. They are a better designed window with better hardware than the Proline.

• mase9921
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I actually found out thats its not the hoa, its a township zoning issue. My neighborhood was zoned with specific constraints and that was one of them. My biulder says its bs, but they will definately enforce it. We may do a mix of prolines and designers. Im meeting with the guys tomorrow.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I really don't understand how a town can legally ban vinyl, fiberglass and composite windows. If it is legally filed as a historic district, then I could understand it, but new homes? I think I'd be making a few calls to my State Congressional Representative as well as the AG.

What if they decided that everyone had to drive a particular model, color and/or style of a car? To me, this smacks of cronyism.