Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows for Creole-style home

Posted by texas_cajun (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 22:05

We are building new construction in an old neighborhood (tore down a dilapidated home) and as a result, want the new house to fit in. I want wood windows (no cladding). We have bids from Windsor (Pinnacle) and Jeld-Wen. I really wanted a bid from Kolbe & Kolbe, but their area rep hasn't responded to calls or emails from my builder for a month, and frankly I'm afraid to work with them now even if they do give us a bid.

I didn't even price Marvin Ultimates because they will be so far out of our budget based on what I've read here and I really don't want fiberglass. I know the Windsors and Jeld-Wens are really not that popular around here, but our neighborhood simply won't support a $50,000 window budget for a 3500 sq. ft. house from a resale perspective. Given those options, what would you pick?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows for Creole-style home

I'd price out more windows , look at the Marvin's and some of the Andersen's as well.
You really should consider a window that is clad.
Keep in mind Kolbe, and Jeld-Wen and others have more that 1 line of window and pricing can vary greatly.

o

What part of the wood do you like?

There are options for windows that will be wood to the interior and either clad or composite to the exterior.

o

Kolbe in a Sterling will not be much cheaper at all than Marvin Ultimates and I would also agree to expand you search and stay away from Jeldwen and or Windsor. They may not be popular for other reasons then resale (quality, especially in your climate).

o

We got a reasonable (only 2k over budget) from Kolbe for Heritage Traditional. I went to see them and they are lovely! We are going to order. Thanks for the advice!

o

Good choice, please let us know when in an share some pictures please.

o

Millworkman saves the day again.

Definitely post up some before and after pictures.

o

Ok, I got some more information from the builder today and now I have another question - we can upgrade to the Kolbe Sterling for $2,500.00. The quote we received already was given to us with a "no fingerjoints" option included, which added about $3,750.00 to the price. Can someone tell me if the "no fingerjoints" option is something that matters? If not, I'd probably rather have the concealed jambliners.

I realize that $2,500 isn't a huge deal, but the Traditional line is already over budget, so my husband is saying no to just paying to upgrade to Sterling.

o

I would take the no FJ option myself which would mean the wood would all be one piece as opposed to multiple small pieces joined together. Whereas the concealed jambliner is slightly performance and more appearance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here