Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insurance only compensating wood replacement windows??

Posted by KCRemodeler (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 22:00

I had 5 double hung 20 yr old wood windows knocked out by hail damage in a 1990 house. Insurance came out and provided me reimbursement upon repair for in-kind wood windows. I went to seek bids for replacement windows and obviously learned that my options were vinyl, fiberglass, composite, or some wood-clad. I was told that very few mfgrs do wood replacement windows and they were mainly for older homes trying to maintain historic appeal.

AND, to maintain the asthetics of my dark exterior/white interior trim, the duo-color vinyl or fiberglass options are all double what insurance will cover to replace wood windows.

I was told that I need to provide evidence to insurance proving that it is common practice to replace wood w/ these options to justify a higher compensation for a product other than wood windows. Has anyone encountered this? Any good way to address this w/ insurance company??

Any help would be appreciated....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insurance only compensating wood replacement windows??

Your insurance company should provide you with what replace value/cost of your existing windows are.

If you painted them after the fact, they are probably only required to provide you with the cost of a primed window and you will need to supply the paint. They may reimburse you the cost the the painting as well.

Typically, the fiberglass options are cheaper than wood/wood or clad wood options.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here