Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl Windows and Fiberglass Door Questions

Posted by happs (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 11 at 21:39

I am considering replacing 38 year old single pane aluminum windows in the living room area of an apartment next to the beach that are drafty, old looking and have rusty sills. The frames the windows would go into are 82"x58" and 106"x58." The windows are east facing and get a lot of sun in the morning, but I don't need low-e glass or pre-tinted windows because I would prefer to have a professional window tinter come and use the tint material and brand of my choice. However, I was told that if you tint the windows, you will void the warranty on the windows. Is this true? The sales person at the home improvement store told me that you can't get dual pane windows without low E properties. Is this true? I don't use hear or a/c on the coast and don't need the energy saving, insulating properties that people in extreme climates need. I've read that vinyl windows are best for a high salt coastal environment since they can stand up to the elements. If anyone has gone through replacing old aluminum windows, I'd appreciate knowing what brand of vinyl window is the best value in Southern California.

I also have a wood door that I learned the hard way doesn't stand up to water, and absorbs it, leading to mildew. I've read a lot of positive comments and reviews about fiberglass doors, but just like windows there seems to be a lot of manufacturers and product catalogs are confusing. I went to a chain home improvement store and got a quote of $4,000 for an apartment sized fiberglass door that's half fiberglass and half glass. No way am I spending that kind of money. The wood door itself that I purchased 8 years ago that has half glass and half wood was $1100.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl Windows and Fiberglass Door Questions

Double pane windows are made with low e properties with argon gas inside. The manufacturers offer tinted glass for sunny locals. Sorry, that's just how it is.

o

You can order glass without Low E and or Argon. If your dealer will not let you find another dealer!

o

You will need to check with your specific glass manufacturer about the warranty implications of adding tint to a window.

Most of the tint manufacturers (3M for example) will provide you with supplemental warranty coverage.

o

I sometimes see new or gently used brand name Fiberglass doors and windows for sale on Craigslist. Are there any negatives to buying using this approach?

o

I don't know if the company will warranty the product purchased second hand

o

Are you custom making the openings? How are they going to fit?

o

I don't know honestly. I unfamiliar with window terms. I'm thinking that the frame on the bottom of the window where the window slides on (I plan to get sliding windows) might be unique to each house, can that be altered to fit each window? What can go wrong or not work if I buy secondhand?

o

You are not going to want to change the size of the replacement window. It is going to be impossible for you to do and do properly.

o

I got a quote for $1800 for both windows for dual pane vinyl windows (local brand-forgot which one) with no low e glass and no argon gas filling in a brown color the HOA requires. I was told that single pane would be almost the same cost because of their rarity. I noticed that with double pane windows you have less visibility vs single pane because of the frames.

o

I've obtained quotes from six different vinyl window replacement companies for identical product and they are all within $200 of each other. Kind of disappointed as I thought there would be more variation in pricing. Is it common in the window replacement industry for companies to have such similar pricing? Not sure whether it's worth it to spend $2000 to replace two large living room windows. On a positive note, through talking to six different companies, I have changed my opinion on Low E glass.

o

Pricing tends to be consistent.

Good choice to go with Low-e

o

Do you think the price is high because there are only two windows involved? If I replaced the windows in my entire apartment, would there be a big discount? $2000 seems like a lot of money to spend on two windows.

o

It's possible, although those are very large windows. Why not get an estimate for all of them and see what it comes in at?

o

+1

Most folks like to do all the renovations at once and localize the construction activities to a couple of days.

If you can swing it, you might be better served doing the whole project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here