Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gunter_gw

Sierra Pacific, Lincoln or Marvin Windows?

gunter
16 years ago

People who have either Sierra Pacific, Lincoln or Marvin windows--I'm in Colorado and building a custom home we'll be in for 40 years. I like Marvin Alumn. clad and will price them. However, Sierra Pacific and Lincoln have been recommended to me as quality products better priced. I hate to spend big bucks on Marvin if another brand will serve us just as well. Is there a difference in quality and price between Sierra Pacific and Lincoln? Or is there such a big difference between those brands and Marvin that I should just get Marvin? And anyone in the Denver area know where to go for the best prices? Thanks for any input!

Comments (37)

• calbay03
    16 years ago

Hi, we use Marvin AL clad on the coast of SF Bay Area in Ca. Don't know much about the other brands but have researach info and some experience to share.

We had the same challenges four years ago trying to figure out why one is cheaper or more expensive than the others (Andersen, Pella, Milgard). We learned that there are actual differences though not all such differences are readily visible to all of us. You can research the other brands and compare as we did.

Marvin's extruded Aluminum claims to meet AAMA's 2605-05 specification. Supposedly toughest. Marvin's Aluminum also uses 70% Kynar coating, similar to car body coating. I would check the other brands' specification.

Marvin cross-sectional of their clad windows shows an added air space between the cladding and the interior wood. We like this added amount of insulation. We found this on Marvin web site. I suggest comparing that to the other brands to see how they clad their windows.

Marvin's windows came with high DP rating. We like this for our stormy location with wide temperature fluctuation. Check the DP rating and also the SHGC and VT factors.

In our area, Marvin made argon a standard when we asked for low-E2 coating. Other brands sold them as options. At least that was the case four years ago.

On the subjective side, the wood is very tight, neat and beautifully finished. The cladding appearance has more traditional lines, not so bland. Your taste of course may be different.

So far, the clad French doors have survived wind-whipped gravel, football, soccer, frisbee, occassional bike tire crashes, no dent (yet) and no scratches (yet). I am sure if someone uses a sharp knife or rock, it will scratch.

The windows and doors have performed well in the rare 32-F condition as well as 115-F condition keeping us relatively cool in summer and relatively warm in winter. So far, everything functions as new after four years and no fading yet.

Wind driven rain pounded the SW facing windows and doors each winter, no air or water leaks. We also had good installation so it is quiet inside. A normal Honda lawn mower mowing to within 3 ft of the doors sounds only like a low hum inside, and we need not raise our voice to speak.

This does not imply anything negative about the other brands, just our experience and our choices.

I hope you find this info useful!

• bselt
    16 years ago

If it was in the budget, there is NO question that I would put Marvin in my home. (Marvin Ultimate). Even over Anderson, Pella, JeldWen etc.
    While Sierra Pacific & Lincoln windows may work out, neither are in the same league. SP & Lincoln are price pt products.

• gunter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your responses. Is the Builder's line of Marvin's equally as good?

• calbay03
    16 years ago

I am not a window professional so please take the following with a grain of salt.

We learned 4 years ago that there were just Marvin Windows and Doors, Marvin Integrity and Marvin Infinity. Marvin Integrity makes fiberglass windows while Integrity is into replacement. Those two were relatively new at the time and had minimal offering.

Marvin Windows and Doors is the one that makes the Aluminum clad products. According to our local Marvin "Master" dealer (4 years ago), Marvin did not make a "cheaper" version for other companies (Home Depot, Lowe's etc). There was Marvin and that was that. All dealers would sell exactly what Marvin could make.

If that is still true, is "Builder" just another dealer of the Marvin product?

You may have to check your local official Marvin dealers to get the final word. You can find a list of dealers from the Marvin site.

Good luck!

• nazguy
    16 years ago

Pleaseeeeeeee!!!! Stay away from the Lincoln Windows. We built our home in 1993 using Lincoln double pane argon filled low E double hung windows recommended by our builder and have had nothing but trouble from day one. We have replaced the sashes on almost half of our 34 windows due to everything from exploding interior panes, rotten sashes, condensation between the panes so heavy you can't see out the window to an inch of water between the panes. The first two that exploded they replaced the sashes, the next batch I had to pay for replacements and the last batch I paid for and they told me to never request replacements again because they would not build them for me ever again. The only reason they made the last batch was I promised legal action if they didn't! It's gotten to the point where I have to replace every window and french door in the house. I'm considering Pella Designer or Marvins, but haven't decided yet. The local Pella store and their installers have an excellent reputation but I'm reading some things on here that are making me second guess any of them!

• gunter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone--anyone have Sierra Pacific? I think I'll go with the Marvins. I'm so sorry to hear of your trouble
    Nazguy, with Lincolns. It sounds just awful. Good luck!

• tucgran
    16 years ago

We are beginning a major remodel and addition and will be using SP windows. They come highly recommended by both our A and GC who have used them in multiple remodels and have not experienced any problems with either the windows or the company. I know that they are widly used in the northwest and have been for some time.

Also, I have searched this forum for complanints about SP windows from time to time (we have been planning this remodel for two years) and have found none and I figure if there were problems someone would be writing about it on this site which reminds me I think I will try another search.

bslet, what do you mean by "price pt products"?

• bselt
    16 years ago

tucgran.
    Price Point Product.
    People tend to buy SP because it is a less expensive alternative than say Marvin,Eagle,Pella.
    If it was in the budget, I'd buy Marvin.
    Windows can be a HUGE investment. Make sure you're installation is top notch.
    good luck.

• planetjc
    16 years ago

Sorry to hear about your 93 Lincolns. Same as a 91 Taurus from Ford. But did you know the redesigned 2005 Lincolns have better ratings than even Marvin and air infiltrations lower and higher DP. Lincoln also has the 366 LowE glass available at only a 1$/ square ft more. When every one else had a 1 year wood rot warranty Lincoln had a 10 year and continues that today. The original founders still run the company and if they are not the best then the second best. Andersens 300 casement leak 300% more air and google "pella rotten". Not here to bad mouth but just to clarify and offer up to date information. While some companies put $ into marketing Lincoln puts those $ into the product. They are diffinately Not a price point product. Keep in mind also that installation is paramount to any window and door product.

• bselt
    16 years ago

1) yup, at 1 point in time Pella had a "rotten" problem. Early 90's and has LONG been corrected. Maybe you should let that one go.
    2) Lincoln IS a price point product, just like SP.
    3) Marvin is the best product out there.

• planetjc
    16 years ago

I looked at a few rotted pellas over the last 30 days. 8 years on a window and a 30 year mortgage does not reflect affordable housing. After a few years they arn't very attractive on the exterior.
    Lincolns run more than a jeldwen and just less than a marvin wood product, except for radius and speciality.
    Infinity from Marvin, the fiberglass product, is the best overall midwest window IMO.

• texas_al
    16 years ago

We put Marvin ultimate aluminum clad windows in our new house and I couldn't be happier. Beautiful windows, mechanically a pleasure to operate, and they stay cool as a cucumber against the hot sun and heat of north Texas. Love 'em.

• planetjc
    16 years ago

Yes, they are extremely nice. They will perform great for years. Glad to know of your satisfaction.

• alice462
    15 years ago

We are looking at using Lincoln as an alternative to Marvin b/c of significant savings and can get same look with wider muntins in windows for our colonial home. Need good insulating qualities particulary related to sun -- we had to take a 150 y.o. oak out and we are now getting straight west sun in the afternoons -- very hot with our current windows, that have no insulating qualities. The windows will be in a new addition, not replacement windows.

I can see where someone had some concerns with Lincolns that were installed 15+ years ago, but is anyone using them recently and what is your experience?

TIA, Alice

• afsa
    15 years ago

On Long island there name is still buried under the dirt as in do not use them.Inspite of what anyone says on here they are definitely a price point window and a terrible one at that, I have not heard on good thing about any units here on the Island

• alliern
    15 years ago

Hi Gunter, I don't know if you are still reading this but, I am currently building a home in Evergreen, CO and purchased Sierra-Pacific Windows (99 to be exact), 3 sets of French Doors and a 5-panel La Cantina Door through their Denver office. Lora V. was the sales rep that we dealt with and she was extremely through with our order. Eveything was delivered in perfect condition and the quality is fantastic! I would definately consider them.
    I had priced out Eagle, Hurd, Kolbe, and Weathershield. Sierra Pacific was in the middle. Good Luck with your build!

• willinak
    13 years ago

Alliern, how are the Sierra Pacific windows and doors working out? I'm planning a remodel at 10,000 ft., in CO, so it can be brutal on windows and doors!

• grgrlnd_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I used al. clad Pella casements in my home 30 years ago. They have certainly outperformed most. My brother used Marvins in his home. My new home has Sierra Pacific. They are beautiful and were selected by the architect building the new home for an Oklahoma billionair. I don't think they were selected for "price point"!!! I selected them for their features.

• alliern
    13 years ago

Willinak...still loving my SP windows after 2 1/2 yrs! This past month has been a true test with temps reaching 16 below on numerous nights. Our La Cantina window wall has been the greatest enjoyment...has allowed indoor/outdoor living at 8,000ft.

• acustode
    12 years ago

I installed 13 very large aluminum clad casement windows and 3 sets of Sierra Pacific french doors about 4 1/2 years ago and I'm _mostly_ happy, but there have been some problems. 3 panes on the south side have had broken seals which have had to be replaced (one on a french door and 2 in windows). The other issues relate to the dark red aluminum clad exterior which has started to fade on the south side. I'm in Boulder CO and the sun is pretty intense, but I'm still surprised to be having these problems after such a short period of time. I also have one latch which is difficult to close and I have weather stripping which comes out of it's seat when I often open windows. Everyone loves my windows and they look great, but I just wonder if these problems are normal. I thought they were affordable... the whole lot only cost about 15K.

• LFcustomer
    11 years ago

I installed Lincoln windows in our home and regret it. Mold starting growing in between the panes of 7 of the windows. This happened shortly after the 5 year initial warranity period. It took 6 months for Lincoln to send replacements. The first time 3 of the windows were not made correctly. They were missing the mullions. It took another 4 weeks to get those replaced but now the windows were not primed. Lincolns response was, "oh well, too bad, we are not replacing them". That is there version of customer service. It cost me hundreds of dollars for the labor to replace the windows, three days being at home to have the windows measured to be ordered and then replaced. It was not worth it. Get Marvin windows.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Marvin Integrity is a great product. Take a look at that if you have doubts about paying their full fare for alum. clad, which is pretty expensive.

• Lewis43
    11 years ago

We are in our 14th year with Lincoln windows and have had a 15% failure rate of the seals. After 10 years we pay for everything. South facing in Seattle so wind but not massive sun or freezing weather. We are now building a new house next door and will not consider Lincoln.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Not saying Lincoln windows are any good but seal failures are glass issues now window mfr. However most all glass companies are typically 10 yrs now o seal failures.

• E AS
    8 years ago

I really wanted to like Sierra Pacific Windows. The product
    looks nice, the salesman (Dylan – SoCal Rep) was very friendly and responsive
    during the ordering process, and the projected delivery time was reasonable (3
    weeks). Unfortunately, I ordered several windows and a door. After 3 weeks I
    hadn’t heard from the company so I contacted our rep on the day I was expecting
    delivery and he didn’t respond. I called him again the next day and he said the
    delivery had been delayed. Here is how that conversation should have gone: “I’m
    terribly sorry but we had an error in your order and there has been a delay.
    The delivery date will now be ___. To compensate you for your troubles we would
    like to offer you a __% on your order. Thank you for your patience.” Instead,
    Dylan gave no explanation and no projected date. He said he would get back to
    me with a projected date but he never did. Eventually my contractor called him
    and Dylan quoted a 1 week delay (which delays our project by one week but we
    can work with it). I had a bad feeling about it so I called the company
    directly and found that the order shows a 3 week delay! Since he didn’t tell me
    a cause, I’m assuming that Dylan forgot to put in the order and didn’t want to
    admit it.

So now, I’m pissed (naturally). I contacted Graden (Dylan’s
    manager?) to get a clear explanation and update. I got the same response from
    him. He gave no explanation and no projected date. He said he would get back to
    me with a projected date within 2 hours but he never did. So here I stand with
    my entire remodel being delayed by Sierra Pacific Windows for some unknown amount
    of time (1 week? 3 weeks?!)

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Was this thru SP direct or a distributor? While I am no fan of SP Windows & Doors, this may all be the distributor and no fault of SP.

• E AS
    8 years ago

I think direct (I started the process by calling the number on the SP website and they connected me with local rep). I just heard back from the rep and he confirmed the order was placed 10 days late and now there is a 2 week delivery delay. No discount offered. I'm just hoping the quality is good at this point. I should mention that my parents outfitted their whole house with SP and love them.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Good luck with your new windows!

• E AS
    8 years ago
    Sierra Pacific continues to have terrible customer service. The door arrived with no hardware. We are living in the home during remodel so this is an unacceptable safety issue. They never mentioned that hardware will arrive more than 2 months after it was ordered. They have been extremely rude in the way they communicate. Particularly the regional manager for Southern California. I cannot recommend this company.
  • notracks
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi EAS, I am curious about the outcome of your experience with SPW. I am nervous about buying windows from this company. You say your parents love them. Can you please tell me how long they've had the windows and if they've had any problems? How do you like your new windows? thanks so much!

• E AS
    8 years ago
    The windows themselves are lovely. My only complaint is customer service. My parents have had their windows for about eight years and have had no problems. I hope we have the same experience because I would dread using the warranty.
  • camabie
    7 years ago

Hi Gunter. . .or anyone who responded. . . we are looking at getting the marvin integrity windows - fiberglass on exterior and interior. We are in Boulder, Colorado. Just wanted to see what your experience has been, now that it is about 9 years later!!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    7 years ago

+1. There have been a handful of paint issues over their history, but that seems to be the extent of it.

• ld lewis
    7 years ago

I had SP replace 3/4 of my windows about 8 years ago.. I did not like the process - buy windows, get installer, get person to paint trim inside and out. But we did it and had and have one problem - one window is wobbly when you crank in and out. Also the SP salesman was not knowledgeable and did not let us know that a slider to replace our french doors would be much smaller than opening. That was disappointing. Installer is no longer "around". We have had two seals break and they were replaced with no problem under SP warranty. Now I want to replace the other windows (above grade basement ones and a family room window that was in great shape and now should be replaced.) Well, I just don't get the "process" - they give you the name of one installer and he gives you a price for windows and install. Should I just find my own installer or use the one they "sent me". How do you check and find good contractors? Also is it important all my windows match on the outside? From the inside they will not be in the same View - but will be visible from the outside in the back.... one SP on 2nd and 3rd floor and possible a Pella or Marvin or a SP on ground/basement level. Any help would be appreciated...

• S G
    7 years ago

I have been doing a lot of research and speaking to a lot of dealers. Here is an interesting take: SP recently bought Hurd. Hurd went bankrupt once (or twice) and the company failed to live up to warranty. Hurd also has had a lot of quality control problems in the past. SP plans to bring Hurd into its line. Who knows what the quality or warranty of SP or Hurd will be as time goes on. A respectable dealer told me that he stopped carrying Marvin because they do not back the warranty as they had in the past. His view is the a window is as good as its warranty and if the company does not back it, take a pause before buying it. I don't want to quarrel with WOW who has a lot of respect for Marvin. WOW is very knowledgeable and his opinion cannot be ignored. I am just sharing what I have heard from dealers.

• Pamela Ziobro
    3 years ago

AVOID SPW. I have a new custom home with SPW aluminum clad Aspen Casement windows. I had multiple window leak before we even got the house completed, and then more have leaked since. Service is for and they will first try to blame the installer or the sider. I have gone months with plastic barriers taped over windows while waiting for service. I paid $55,000 for windows that leak and are already visibly falling apart in less than 2 years. Also, the windows come unfinished and are very expensive and time consuming to get professionally finished before they are ready to install. Water is getting inside through the frame and the wood is swelling and will eventually rot. I hired a structural engineer who is an expert in windows and structural glass(commercial projects) and he said these windows are poorly designed and my leaks and failures are a direct result of their design flaws. If anyone has similar problems and is interested in pursuing a class action lawsuit, please respond.