Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gdm783

Eagle vs Weather Shield

gdm783
10 years ago

I am looking to replace a few windows (4 double hung and 1 awning) with aluminum clad and am stumped between Weather Shield Signature Series and Eagle. I realize that Marvin is the best, but I just can't afford the difference. I read a lot of bad reviews about Weather Shield, but the Signature Series appears to be new and better....? The Eagles don't get very good reviews either, but they aren't quite as harsh. The price difference is ~$1k, with the Eagle being more expensive. Is it worth spending the money on the Eagle, our are they both junk so I might as well save the $1k?

Comments (16)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

If those are your choices, there is no choice. Use the Eagle, stay away from anything W/S in my opinion. While still not a fan, I have been told since Anderson has purchased them the Eagles are better (though still no where near Marvin nor Kolbe in my book).

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1

Go with the Eagles in this case.

What is the total budgetary number on that 5 windows to create the $1,000 spread?

• gdm783
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really do appreciate the input. The quotes thus far are $4,400 installed for the W/S and $5,700 installed for the Eagles.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Have you priced out the Marvins? Just wondering because depending on the options, you may not be that far away from the Eagle pricing.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

Out of those 2, eagle. Too much controversy for me at WS. You could wake up tomorrow and they will be gone. Marvin is several steps above both IMO.

• gdm783
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are correct that the Marvins, on average, were close. The problem I had was that I have one window that is 4'x5' and I was told that I would have to use a Marvin Ultimate Magnum for a width that large. The pricing for the one Magnum was $2,200 which threw off the whole bid. Was the dealer correct that the standard Ultimate does not come in a 4' width?

• gdm783
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deleted repost

This post was edited by gdm783 on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 9:40

• PRO
    10 years ago

Which unit was that size?

• gdm783
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The 4'x5' is a double hung.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    10 years ago

The problem is the width. If you take that down to 3'10" you have a standard width and you don't have to jump up to the magnum. And I agree that you should reconsider Marvin but Eagle would be a better choice than the Weather Shield if not.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

The largest frame size as a standard size in the Ultimate Dbl Hung is 3'-9-3/8", so if it has to be 4'-0" he is probably correct.

• WLM2
    10 years ago

gdm783, Having been in the window business for over 30 years I can tell you this. both Weathershield & Eagle are very good windows & in both cases it depends on what series you buy as to how it relates to your wants. Most things posted are negative from people that had a bad experience. The product is only as good as the dealer that sells it.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

WLM2, registered yesterday and let me guess you sell W/S & Eagle? And I have to beg to differ, a crap product sold sold by a good dealer is still a crap product and I would also not agree with W/S being a "very good windows" in any series.

• WLM2
    10 years ago

millworkman, So what are your qualifications that makes you the expert you think you are. I have been doing this all my life & have been very successful. I do not trash the other mans products(that's too easy). Plain & simple you my friend are uniformed. For the record I rep Weathershield, Hurd & Marvin and I find that most problems are due to poor installation

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I currently have no dog in the hunt as I work in commercial aluminum and glazing not residential wood. However I have been in the industry 30 years myself and while you state I am uniformed, you are incorrect. I have sold all the brands you listed plus others and in no way shape or form will I state that W/S and Eagle are "very good windows" and will not bashing I just give my blunt and honest opinion. I will agree that allot of the issues are installation. I was not looking to insult you in anyway shape or form, the forums have been over run lately by spammers and when someone just appears and posts apparently promoting products it just strikes me as a rat 95% of the time.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I currently have no dog in the hunt as I work in commercial aluminum and glazing not residential wood. However I have been in the industry 30 years myself and while you state I am uniformed, you are incorrect. I have sold all the brands you listed plus others and in no way shape or form will I state that W/S and Eagle are "very good windows" and will not bashing I just give my blunt and honest opinion. I will agree that allot of the issues are installation. I was not looking to insult you in anyway shape or form, the forums have been over run lately by spammers and when someone just appears and posts apparently promoting products it just strikes me as a rat 95% of the time.